Chandigarh, May 7 UNI | 3 months ago

The Haryana government has notified the amended 'Relief and Rehabilitation of Women Acid Victims' scheme to provide ad-hoc relief or compensation, medical reimbursement and rehabilitation services to women victims of acid attacks.

Stating this here today, a Women and Child Development department spokesperson said that the concerned Deputy Commissioner or Sub Divisional Magistrate would pay compensation, as after care and rehabilitation cost under Haryana Victim Compensation Scheme of Home Department.

He said that compensation of Rs three lakh would be given to acid attack victims involving defacement, loss of limb or parts of body and for plastic surgery.

Out of this amount, a sum of Rs one lakh would be paid to such victims within 15 days of occurrence of such incidents (or being brought to the notice of the State Government) as ad hoc relief to facilitate immediate medical attention and expenses in this regard.

The balance sum of Rs two lakh would be paid as expeditiously as might be possible and positively within two months thereafter, he added.

He said in case of acid attack not involving defacement or loss of limb or parts of body and plastic surgery, compensation of Rs 50,000 would be paid to victims. Similarly, in case of death of the victims, the state level committee would pay a lump sum of Rs five lakh to the legal heir.

This amount would be in addition to any expenses incurred towards the treatment of the victims.

He said that acid attack victims of Haryana would be entitled to receive free of cost 100 per cent medical treatment from amongst any of the government hospitals or government approved hospitals.

This amount would be reimbursed by the Women and Child Development Department.

The amendments and deletion or addition of hospitals made by the government from time to time would also be automatically covered under the scheme, he added.

He said that apart from this, the acid attack victims would be given preference in allotment of fair price shops by the Food and Supplies Department.

(Posted on 08-05-2014)