"I have always said that death penalty will send a strong signal and act as deterrent," said Swaraj after the verdict even though the quantum of punishment will be pronounced on Wednesday.
"There is a surge in rapes in India and it will go down with death penalty," said Swaraj.
National General Secretary of Congress Ambica Soni said fast trial is a must and punishment should be such that a rapist cannot commit the crime again.
"There have been cases when a person committed it again and go arrested. This must never happen," she said.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said said in the case like the one of Delhi Braveheart, death penalty is the right punishment.
Former super cop turned activist Kiran Bedi said justice demands that death penalty should be given to all four convicts.
The quantum of punishment, which can be death penalty since the girl died from the brutal attack eventually, will be announced on Wednesday.
The court pronounced its verdict at around 12.30 pm in the Dec 16 brutal gangrape of a 23-year-old paramedical student that had triggered unprecedented public outcry against crimes on women.
Now that they are convicted, Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur might be sentenced to death as maximum punishment.
Of the six accused of the brutal and fatal gangrape, a fifth suspect committed suicide by hanging himself in jail in March.
The sixth accused was found a minor during the crime was committed and so he escaped the ferocity of punishment having been sentenced to three years in a reform centre, the maximum punishment for a juvenile criminal in India.
The trial was completed in about seven months.
Meanwhile, parents of the girl Jyoti Sharma, known as Delhi Braveheart, said they want death for all the accused.
"Nothing short of a death sentence for all the accused will satisfy us. Only that can bring peace to our minds and to the whole country," the victim's father told a newspaper earlier.
The case against accused Ram Singh was dropped after he was found dead, hanging in his cell in Tihar Jail in March.
The youngest accused in the Delhi gangrape on Aug 31 was convicted of rape and murder and sentenced to three years, in the first verdict in the case.
The Juvenile Justice Board sent him to three years at a reform centre for his role in the fatal gangrape.
As the verdict of three years' term in a special home was pronounced last month, the parents of the victim said they were heart broken by the token punishment and would appeal in higher courts.
"It is a crime to be born a girl in this country," said the father of the girl while her mother said they felt let down by the law. "It is like letting him go," she said.
"Only three years? This is unacceptable. They may as well acquit him now," she said.
On Dec 16, 2012, six people gangraped and brutalised the 23-year-old Delhi Braveheart or Nirbhaya with an iron rod on a moving bus in New Delhi. The victim succumbed to her injuries at a Singapore hospital on Dec 29.
The incident triggered nationwide outrage against rising cases of crime against women in India with people pouring into the streets of New Delhi for days and demanding a change of law and strict punishment of the accused.
--IBNS (Posted on 10-09-2013)