Home > News > More News

Derby violence: I-League committee summoned

Posted on Dec 27, 07:45PM | IBNS

India's supreme football body All India Football Federation (AIFF) on Thursday said it has called an I-League Core-Committee meeting on Dec 29 where the report of the One-man Commission on the derby match abandonment and subsequent violence involving Mohun Bagan and East Bengal will be reviewed for necessary follow up and action.

"All India Football Federation has summoned an I-League Core-Committee meeting at AIFF Headquarters, 'Football House' on December 29, 2012," AIFF said in a statement.

"The report of the One-man Commission, Justice A. K. Ganguly relating to I-League Match No. 68 will be received and reviewed by the committee for necessary follow up and action," it said.

AIFF on Dec 17 appointed retired judge AK Ganguly to assess the legal implications over possible punishments for football club Mohun Bagan for walking out of the field midway at the derby match against East Bengal on Dec 9 in Kolkata.

On Dec 9, Mohun Bagan refused to field players in the second session after brick-batting grievously injured their midfielder Syed Rahim Nabi during an argument with referee Bishnu Chohan.

Chohan was surrounded by the players after he showed red card to Bagan captain Odafa Okolie for dissent in the 43rd minute.

After nearly six minutes disruption of play for stretchering Nabi to an ambulance and finally for a hospital the rivals played one minute for injury time play in the first half.

Bagan were trailing by a 42nd minute header from Harmonjot Singh Khabra of a Mehtab Hossain's free kick.

However, Mohun Bagan refused to field players in the second half of I-League play citing law and order problem and rejected West Bengal sports minister Madan Mitra's request to carry on playing since some 100,000 spectators assembled at the season's first derby.

Match commissioner Gulab Chohan's warning on Mohun Bagan to face ban, may be two years, if they do not resume play in the second half, was also spurned.

The match commissioner after waiting 45 minutes abandoned the match. Later a section of people agitated over abandonment of play fought a pitched battle injuring some dozen people.