Home > News > More News

Blast suspects handed over to Maharashtra ATS

Posted on Dec 22, 11:48AM | UNI

The four suspects, arrested in connection with the J M Road serial bomb blasts had conducted recce at some areas to carry out more bomb blasts, the Anti-terrorsism squad (ATS) said today.

The ATS got custody of the four suspects-- Asad Khan Jamshed Ali Khan (33) of Aurangabad, Imran Khan Wajid Khan Pathan (32) of Nanded, Firoz alias Hamja Abdul Hamid Sayed (38) of Sukrawar peth, Pune, and Irfan Mustapha Landge (30) of Ahmednagar, they were arrested by the special cell of Delhi police in October 2012.

The ATS submitted before the court that investigations have revealed that the suspects had conducted recce at more areas in the city to carry out blasts and and that it wanted to know the spots where the suspects had conducted recce.

After hearing the arguments,judicial magistrate first class (JMFC) S S Bose sent the suspects to police remand till January 1.

On August 1, four coordinated low intensity explosions had struck J M Road between 7.25 pm and 11.30 pm, injuring one person.

A team of the Delhi police led by inspector Dinesh Arya produced the four suspects before the JMFC court. The policemen from all the police stations in Zone-I of the Pune police commissionerate were deployed on the premises of the court. Two Deputy Commissioners and an Assistant Commissioner were monitoring the bandobast.

The court informed the Delhi police that the suspects have been put in the custody of the ATS. They will be handed back to the Delhi police after investigations.

The ATS took the suspects to the ATS's office in Shivajinagar and officially arrested them in the J M Road serial blasts case, registered at the Deccan Gymkhana police station.

Later, the ATS team led by assistant police commissioner Samad Shaikh produced the suspects in the court for seeking their police remand.

Assistant public prosecutor A V Ausekar told the court that all the four suspects were members of the banned terrorist organisation Indian Mujahideen. The investigators wanted to know the details such as who bought the explosives, where the bombs were prepared and by whom the bombs were brought to the city, form where the suspects had brought the detonators, electronic watches, ball bearings and the batteries, which were used in the bombs, and who had purchased the bicycles, which were used for planting the bombs.

Ausekar said the ATS also wanted to find out who had funded the suspects and where the plot had been hatched.

Firoz Syed's lawyer M M Sayed told the court that police custody of the suspects was not necesary as all them were in the custody of the Delhi police for about 30 days. 'The state ATS had an opportunity to interrogate them when they were in the custody of the Delhi police,' Syed said.