Dehradun, May 25 UNI | 2 months ago

Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat said around 62,000 pilgrims have visited the "char dhams" so far this year and has urged the opposition BJP to give up the negative approach regarding the pilgrimage which was crucial for the hill state's tourism based economy.


He expressed happiness that portals of the Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara had opened today.

Around 500 devotees had visited the sacred Sikh shrine as part of the first group.

The start of the char dham pilgrimage and now of the Hemkund Sahib as well, was the result of the state government's commitment to provide 'safe and smooth' conditions to the devotees despite all odds, Mr Rawat said adding that he was confident that number was set to rise steadily, which was a positive sign for the region's economy.

He said the government was making all out efforts for successful conduct of the other important pilgrimage of the state including the Kailash Mansarovar yatra and the NandaRaj Jat yatra.

Mr Rawat said the opposition leaders should now stop criticising the government on the pilgrimage and instead offer positive suggestions for improvement, if they had any.

(Posted on 26-05-2014)