Sindhuratna: Navy sets up probe panel
Posted on Feb 27 2014 | IBNS
New Delhi/Mumbai, Feb 27 : The Indian Navy on Thursday said it has set up a probe panel to investigate the INS Sindhuratna mishap that killed two sailors and injured seven others.
"The aim is to ventilate the submarine ... establish the cause of all incidents and to recommend steps for continuing safe operations of submarines," said a statement issued by the Navy.
The two sailors, who had gone missing after the INS Sindhuratna, were declared dead by the Indian Navy on Thursday.
"The Navy said the two officers - Lieutenant Commander Kapish Muwal from Delhi and Lieutenant Manoranjan Kumar from Jamshedpur - were trapped for over 24 hours in a compartment filled with toxic smoke and died of asphyxiation," reported CNN-IBN.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister AK Antony is scheduled to meet the Chief of the Western Command Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha on Thursday over the incident.
Earlier the same day, Antony met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi and updated him on the incident.
The Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhuratna on Thursday morning docked at the Mumbai harbour as search operations for two missing sailors resumed.
Hours after a submarine accident off the Mumbai coast left seven Navy personnel injured, Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi resigned on Wednesday.
The Indian government accepted his resignation with immediate effect.
At least seven Navy personnel were injured and two sailors went missing in a mishap inside the INS Sindhuratna, a Kilo-class submarine, off the Mumbai coast on Wednesday.
"Smoke was seen coming out of the vessel during a routine exercise. It was brought under control within 24 hours," said Navy PRO Rahul Sinha.
INS Sindhuratna (S59) is a Sindhughosh-class diesel-electric submarine of the Indian Navy.
In August last year, at least 18 Navy personnel were killed in a fire onboard INS Sindhurakshak submarine that sank after an explosion.