Thu, 21 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 21, 2026 · 17:05
Sports World News Updated May 21, 2026

Nadal Backs Alcaraz to Recover Fully from Wrist Injury Setback

Rafael Nadal has expressed confidence that Carlos Alcaraz will fully recover from his wrist injury and return stronger. Alcaraz confirmed he will miss Queen's Club and Wimbledon due to the injury. Nadal shared his own experience with similar wrist injuries, emphasizing the importance of patience. He advised Alcaraz to focus on long-term recovery rather than short-term returns.

'He will recover 100 per cent': Nadal backs Alcaraz to return stronger after wrist injury setback

New Delhi, May 21

As concerns grow around Carlos Alcaraz's prolonged absence from the tour, fellow Spanish great Rafael Nadal has offered reassurance, expressing confidence that the young star will fully recover from his wrist injury and emerge stronger from the difficult phase.

Alcaraz recently confirmed that he would miss both Queen's Club and the Wimbledon Championships, as he continues rehabilitation from the injury, extending a frustrating spell on the sidelines that has already forced him out of major tournaments this season.

Speaking on the Served with Andy Roddick podcast, Nadal acknowledged the emotional toll such setbacks can have on a player at the peak of his career, especially after missing consecutive Grand Slams and key ATP Masters events. "For Carlos, he's feeling that he lost two Grand Slams, a couple of Masters 1000s, it's a tough moment," the 22-time Grand Slam champion said.

However, Nadal stressed that the nature of the injury warrants optimism, provided the recovery process is handled carefully and patiently. "But in some way, the good thing is he has an injury that he will recover 100 per cent if he does the proper things, and I'm sure he is doing the proper things."

Alcaraz shared on Instagram earlier this week that although his rehabilitation is progressing, he does not yet feel physically ready to compete during the grass-court swing. The decision means the world No. 2 will miss another opportunity to add to his Grand Slam tally, but Nadal believes stepping away temporarily is the right long-term call.

"He has plenty of years in front of him. And it's about listening to that from somebody like me that went through all of these things, I think, that gives you some positivity in the tough moments," Nadal said.

Nadal's advice comes from personal experience. The former world No. 1 dealt with similar wrist injuries twice during his career, first in 2014 and again in 2016, both times forcing him to withdraw from multiple major tournaments, including the French Open.

Rather than rushing his comeback, Nadal chose recovery over short-term returns, a decision that ultimately paid off spectacularly. Just a year after missing Roland Garros due to injury, he returned to Paris to capture his 15th Grand Slam title on the same clay courts.

The Spanish icon went on to win seven more major titles before retiring in 2024, completing one of the most decorated careers in tennis history.

For Alcaraz, the current setback may feel significant, but Nadal's message was clear: patience now could ensure many more successful years ahead.

— IANS

Reader Comments

Michael C

It's refreshing to see a legend like Nadal genuinely caring for the next generation rather than seeing them as rivals. Alcaraz is only 21—he has time. Better to miss a season than ruin your career by playing through pain. Smart advice.

Rohit L

Honestly, as a tennis fan from India, it's heartbreaking to see Alcaraz miss Wimbledon again. But we saw what happened with Bopanna when he came back from injury at 43 and won a Slam—recovery done right can lead to magic. Nadal knows best.

Jennifer L

I respect Nadal's optimism, but let's be real—wrist injuries are tricky. Look at what happened to Del Potro. The "100 per cent recovery" isn't always guaranteed. Still, Alcaraz has youth and the best medical team. Fingers crossed for him. 🙏

Karthik V

Nadal's own comeback story is pure inspiration—missing RG in 2016 and then winning it the next year was incredible. Alcaraz is built different too. He'll be back with a vengeance. Just feel bad for the fans who won't see him at SW19 this year. 😔

Sarah B

Love how Nadal is passing on his wisdom. The tennis world is better when legends mentor the young stars. Alcaraz should take all the time he needs—he's already proven he can win Slams. The future is still bright. 🎾✨

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked