Sun, 24 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 24, 2026 · 04:05
Bihar News Updated May 24, 2026

Structural Gap Found in Bihar Bridge, Ban on Heavy Vehicles

A structural gap has been detected in the Jadopur-Mangalpur Mahasetu bridge in Bihar's Gopalganj, prompting an immediate ban on heavy vehicles. The 1.92 km bridge, a key link between Gopalganj and Bettiah, is now only open to light vehicles under strict monitoring. District Magistrate Pawan Kumar Sinha has called expert teams from IIT Patna and NIT for a detailed inspection and repair recommendations. The bridge, inaugurated in 2015-16 at a cost of Rs 550 crore, previously faced damage in 2020, raising questions about construction quality.

Ban on heavy vehicles at bridge in Bihar's Gopalganj due to structural concerns

Patna, May 24

Fresh concerns over bridge safety in Bihar have emerged after structural issues were reported on the Jadopur-Mangalpur Mahasetu, a key bridge connecting Gopalganj and Bettiah.

Following the detection of a gap in one of the bridge spans, the district administration has imposed an immediate ban on the movement of heavy vehicles across the bridge, officials said on Saturday.

At present, only light and small vehicles are being allowed to cross under strict monitoring and with caution to prevent any untoward incident.

Gopalganj District Magistrate Pawan Kumar Sinha said the structural gap observed in the bridge is a matter of serious concern and warned that delay in repairs could worsen the condition and make restoration more difficult.

According to District Magistrate Sinha, expert teams from the National Institute of Technology and the Indian Institute of Technology, Patna, are being called to conduct a detailed technical assessment and safety inspection of the bridge.

He said that the expert team will inspect the structure, identify the causes behind the cracks and gaps, and recommend immediate repair measures.

The Jadopur-Mangalpur Mahasetu stretches nearly 1.92 km and serves as an important transport link between Gopalganj and Bettiah.

The bridge significantly reduced travel distance between the two districts by nearly 120 km and is considered a lifeline for hundreds of villages located in the riverine Diara regions.

Officials noted that the bridge had earlier faced issues in 2020 when flooding and river pressure caused cracks in the approach road.

Those damages were later repaired, and additional road connectivity works were undertaken in 2023 and 2024.

Constructed at an estimated cost of around Rs 550 crore, the bridge was inaugurated during 2015-16 by the then Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.

The emergence of major structural concerns within a decade of inauguration has now raised fresh questions over construction quality, long-term maintenance, and monitoring of infrastructure projects in the state.

Earlier, a section of the Vikramshila Bridge in Bhagalpur district collapsed which led to criticism of the Bihar government.

Now, the repair work on the damaged section is underway.

— IANS

Reader Comments

Vikram M

First Vikramshila Bridge collapse, now this. Bihar infrastructure quality needs serious overhaul. Government must investigate construction agencies and ensure accountability. People's safety should not be compromised for cost-cutting. The 120 km travel saving is immense for locals – they deserve a safe bridge.

Karthik V

Good decision by District Magistrate to ban heavy vehicles immediately. But questions remain about the 2020 cracks and whether repairs were done properly. Why is our infrastructure failing so early? Need strict quality audits and lifecycle maintenance plans for all major bridges in flood-prone areas.

Ananya R

Sad to see this happening to such an important bridge. My village is in that region and this bridge reduced our travel by 2 hours. Hope IIT experts give a comprehensive report and repair work starts soon. Also, why wasn't regular monitoring done? Prevention is better than crisis management.

Rohit P

Infrastructure in Bihar needs urgent attention. These bridges are not just concrete and steel – they are lifelines for millions. The government should release a white paper on bridge safety across the state. And yes, those responsible for substandard construction must face consequences. Justice for taxpayers!

Kavya N

While I appreciate the quick action, I'm worried about the daily commuters who depend on this bridge. Light vehicles allowed but what about school vans and ambulances? Hope alternate routes are arranged. And please, let's learn from past failures and build durable infrastructure this time. 🙏

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked