Sun, 24 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 24, 2026 · 04:05
Middle East News Updated May 24, 2026

Iran Rejects Trump's Claim on Strait of Hormuz, Retains Control

Iran has rejected US President Donald Trump's claim that the Strait of Hormuz would return to its previous status under a proposed agreement. Tehran maintains that management of the Strait, including shipping routes and permits, remains exclusively under Iranian authority. Iran stated that no commitments have been made regarding the nuclear program, and that file was not discussed. Trump claimed an agreement has been largely negotiated, but Iran disputes this, noting US officials have acknowledged Trump's tweets are for domestic consumption.

Iran rejects Trump's claim on Strait of Hormuz, says Tehran will retain control

Tehran, May 24

Iran on Sunday rejected US President Donald Trump's claim that the Strait of Hormuz would return to its previous status under a proposed agreement, with Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency stating that Tehran would continue to maintain control.

According to the report, Iran has agreed only to allow the number of passing ships to return to pre-war levels, but this "in no way means a return to free passage" as it existed before the conflict.

Fars News Agency stated that the management of the Strait of Hormuz, including shipping routes, timing of passage and permits, would remain "exclusively under the authority of Iran."

Even as Trump had previously declared negotiations over Iran's nuclear program as one of the main and indispensable conditions for any agreement, no commitment has been made by Iran, and the nuclear file has not been discussed at all, the report stated.

Fars News Agency stated that American officials have acknowledged in multiple messages to Iran that Trump's tweets are primarily for promotional purposes and media consumption within the United States, and they have recommended that no attention be paid to these statements.

Trump has said the United States is engaged in discussions with leaders from several countries regarding efforts linked to peace and stability in the Gulf region, including issues concerning Iran and the Strait of Hormuz.

"I am in the Oval Office at the White House where we just had a very good call with President Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, of The United Arab Emirates, Emir Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, and Minister Ali al-Thawadi, of Qatar, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir Ahmed Shah, of Pakistan, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, of Turkiye, President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, of Egypt, King Abdullah II, of Jordan, and King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, of Bahrain, concerning the Islamic Republic of Iran, and all things related to a Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE," he said in a post on Truth Social.

He further stated that an agreement had been "largely negotiated," subject to finalisation between the United States, Iran and the countries involved in the discussions.

"An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed. Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, of Israel, which, likewise, went very well. Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened," he added.

— ANI

Reader Comments

Priya S

The article mentions Fars News saying Trump's tweets are "for media consumption." That's a very Iranian way of saying 'don't take him seriously.' 😅 But seriously, if Hormuz becomes a contested zone, oil prices will skyrocket, and we in India will feel it at the petrol pump. Not good for our economy!

Vikram M

Trump's habit of declaring 'agreements largely negotiated' before actual talks is concerning. Meanwhile, Iran is being pragmatic - they know Hormuz is their only leverage. As an Indian, I'd say we need to diversify our energy imports. The Chabahar port deal with Iran might help, but we're still too dependent on Gulf oil.

James A

Living in the US, I see both sides. Trump wants to look like a peacemaker, but Iran clearly isn't buying it. The Middle East is a chessboard, and Hormuz is the queen piece. India should stay neutral but prepare for disruptions - maybe invest more in renewable energy to reduce oil dependence.

Ananya R

It's interesting how Saudi, UAE, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt - all these countries are involved but India isn't mentioned. We have the world's largest diaspora in the Gulf! Our government needs a stronger voice in regional stability talks. Not being at the table means we're on the menu. 😤

Rohit P

I appreciate the detailed reporting here. The key line is Iran saying Hormuz management will be "exclusively under their authority." That's a red line for them. Trump's proposal sounds like a wishlist, not a real negotiation. India should maintain strong ties with both Iran and the Gulf states without taking sides.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked