world-news

Yemen: UN condemns drone strikes on wedding processions

New York, Dec 27 : Independent United Nations human rights experts on Thursday voiced serious concern about recent lethal drone airstrikes, allegedly conducted by United States forces in Yemen, and stressed the need for accountability as a result of their use.


According to local security officials, 16 civilians were killed and at least 10 injured when two separate wedding processions were hit on 12 December in Al-Baida Governorate. According to officials cited by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), the victims had been mistakenly identified as members of Al-Qaida.

"If armed drones are to be used, States must adhere to international humanitarian law, and should disclose the legal basis for their operational responsibility and criteria for targeting," said Christof Heyns, UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions.

Heyns also called on the US and Yemen to disclose whether they were responsible, and if so, what targeting standards were used, how many civilians were killed, and whether they plan to provide compensation for the victims' families.

"Yemen cannot consent to violations of the right to life of people in its territory," he added in a news release.

In addition, Special Rapporteur on Torture Juan Mendez expressed concern about the legitimacy of the airstrikes, highlighting that each State was obliged to undertake due investigation into the reported incidents, including the effect on civilians.

"A deadly attack on illegitimate targets amounts to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment if, as in this case, it results in serious physical or mental pain and suffering for the innocent victims," Mendez said.

Independent experts, or special rapporteurs, are appointed by the Geneva-based UN Human Rights Council to examine and report back on a country situation or a specific human rights theme. The positions are honorary and the experts are not UN staff, nor are they paid for their work.

--IBNS (Posted on 27-12-2013)

world-news headlines

'Game of Thrones' characters' monikers trending as baby names

Moyes 'well into planning' to start Man U rebuilding job post season end

Nigerian military admit 85 out of more than 100 abducted girls still missing

Snowden unhappy over Putin's 'evasive' denial of mass surveillance in Russia

'Pee on a stick' parties latest trend among preggers

High-energy laser beam shot into clouds could make rain, lightning happen at will

Monica Lewinsky's mail ditched from latest batch of Clinton docs released online

Chromebook may soon open when close to your smartphone sans password

Important not to give political colour to inter-ethnic relations, says Kazakh President

Man City planning record 250 mln-pound swoop to bag Barca star Messi

Paramount, China Film Co sign deal to produce 3D 'Marco Polo'

Hafeez imparting young cricketers in native city with 'Skills to Shine'

Quick Links: Goa | Munnar | Pondicherry | Free Yearly Horoscope '2014

Comments

Your e-mail:


Your Full Name:


Type verification image:
verification image, type it in the box

Message:

Back to Top