Home > News > More News

Supreme Court rejects Delhi gangrape case transfer

Posted on Jan 29, 03:48PM | IBNS

The Supreme Court has rejected a petition to transfer the trial of the Delhi bus gang-rape and killing case out of the national capital, reports said on Tuesday.

The apex court said the five accused would have to face the judiciary in Delhi only rejecting arguments by defence lawyers that the anger in the national capital might influence the judgement and investigation.

Of the six men who raped and assaulted the 23 year old girl who succumbed to the injuries after 13 days in a Singapore hospital where she was shifted later, five are facing trial in a fast track court in south Delhi, while a sixth one has been spared the trial in the same court because he has so far been proved a juvenile.

The plea to shift the case had come from a lawyer called ML Sharma who said he was presenting Mukesh Singh, the driver of the bus and one of the alleged rapists.

However, another lawyer called VK Anand claimed that he was the real counsel of Mukesh and later it was proved, according to a TV report.

VK Anand reportedly said his client Mukesh has not asked for shifting the case outside Delhi.

Earlier, the Juvenile Justice Board on Monday declared the sixth accused in the Delhi gangrape case as a juvenile.

The accused will be tried in the case as a minor.

He had submitted his school certificates to prove that he is a juvenile and his school principal earlier said that the date of birth of the accused is June 4, 1995. This makes him 17 years and six months old at the time of the crime.

The Juvenile Justice Board has accepted his school certificates.

Being a minor, the accused can only be tried under the Juvenile Justice Act.

He can be sent to a juvenile remand home for a maximum period of three years for his crime.

On Dec 16, six people gang-raped and brutalised a 23-year-old paramedical girl with an iron rod on a moving bus in New Delhi. The victim succumbed to her injuries at a Singapore hospital on Dec 29.

The incident triggered nationwide outrage against rising cases of crime against women in India with people pouring into the streets of New Delhi for days and demanding a change of law and strict punishment of the accused.