Chennai, May 1 UNI | 3 months ago

Two hours after two blasts ripped through two coaches of the Guwahati-Bangalore Superfast Express at Chennai Central station this morning, police have nabbed a suspect, who was found hiding in one of the two coaches.


The twin blasts in S4 and S5 coaches of the train has left a 24-year-old woman dead and 14 others injured, including two of them seriously.

The blasts took place at 0715 hours about ten minutes after the train pulled into the station on Platform No 9.

Police sources said one person, who was hiding in the bathroom of one of the coaches was detained for interrogation on grounds of suspicion.

He was being interrogated. The Union Home Ministry, which has deputed a NIA team and
NSG officials to take up a detailed probe, has sought a report from the Tamil Nadu government about the blasts, which took place a day after the arrest of a Sri Lankan Tamil Zakir Hussain (37), for his suspected role as an agent for ISI operative based in Colombo.
The entire Chennai Central station has come under thick security blanket and intense combing operations were being conducted by the State Police and the Government Railway Police personnel.

Forensic experts were analysing the remnants collected from the spot to ascertain the nature of the explosives used in the blasts, though police quoting preliminary inquiry suspect that the blasts might have been triggered by a timer device.

All passengers and their baggages were thoroughly checked before they were allowed to board the trains.

Even the EMUs being operated on the Chennai Beach and Chengalpattu section, Chennai Beach-Gummidipoondi section, the Chennai Beach-Arakkonam section were subjected to thorough checking.

The elevated MRTS trains between Chennai Beach and Velacherry were also checked.

Tamil Nadu DGP (Elections) Anoop Jaiswal, who visited the blasts' site, said no one has claimed responsibility for the blasts.

He also said no arrests have been made so far. ''We will probe all angles,'' he added. Talking to the media after visiting the spot, Tamil Nadu
DGP K Ramanujam said the nature of the blasts was not known.
''Investigations are being conducted to ascertain the type of device used in the explosions,'' he added.

''We are not taking this lightly...thorough investigation will be conducted,'' he added.

As the terror angle has not been ruled out for the blasts, the CB-CID of the Tamil Nadu Police and the Special Investigation Team (SIT) would jointly probe the cause of the explosions. sources said.

(Posted on 01-05-2014)