Karnataka Govt to provide Internet connections to all colleges
The Collegiate Education Department has decided to extend the internet facility to students studying in the Governments First Grade Colleges for effective study.
Collegiate Education Department Director B L Bhagylakshmi in a circular here today said the project will be implemented with the technical assistance of National Mission on Education through Information Communication Technology (NMEICT) of the Central Government.
The project is expected to help enhance the teaching as well as learning quality.
In this project, each college is being provided with 512 kbps speed and unlimited bandwidth internet connection.
The Central Government would pay 75 per cent of the monthly bill of the internet usage, while respective college should pay the remaining 25 per cent.
Of the total 412 colleges in the state, 200 have already got the internet connection. But the service was stopped in some colleges.
Those colleges could avail the service again, stated the director.
The new facility will help the students studying in 61 colleges of Gulbarga, Bidar, Raichur, Bellary, Koppel and Yadgir districts, coming under Hyderabad Karnataka Region.
Moreover, it would be beneficial for the students who have been preparing for the competitive examinations.
A number of schemes were launched to enhance the soft skill and develop the overall personality of students studying in the government first grade colleges.
English language training for first year degree students, personality development skill training for second year degree students, advanced training for students who have been aiming to appear for the competitive examination and training in soft skills for the final year degree students were launched in the government colleges.
The scheme also assists students in getting employment after the completion of their course.
Educationists expressed happiness over such scheme launched in the government colleges, departmental sources said.
(Posted on 22-04-2014)