Karur, Sep 30
Police investigating the tragic stampede at actor-politician Vijay's Tamilaga Vetri Kazhagam (TVK) rally in Karur have arrested yet another key party functionary, intensifying the probe into the stampede that claimed 41 lives.
On Tuesday, Karur Police took into custody Ponraj, the TVK Central City Secretary, just a day after the arrest of Mathiazhagan, the party's West District Secretary.
Both arrests come as part of the investigation into whether lapses in crowd management and permissions contributed to the deadly crush.
The stampede occurred when thousands gathered to hear Vijay speak at Velayuthampalayam after his Namakkal roadshow earlier the same day.
Witnesses said the venue quickly became overcrowded, and panic spread when electricity went off during the event. In the chaos, many were trampled, including several women and children.
Over 60 people were injured, and 41 lives were lost despite rescue efforts by police and medical teams.
Karur Police had earlier booked TVK General Secretary N. Anand, Joint General Secretary CTR Nirmal Kumar, and Mathiazhagan under five IPC sections, including culpable homicide not amounting to murder and disobedience of public orders.
Initially, DSP Selvaraj was appointed as the investigating officer, but the state police headquarters later replaced him with Additional SP Premanand to lead the probe.
Chief Minister M.K. Stalin expressed deep grief and assured full support to victims' families.
"This tragedy is unbearable. We have ordered a judicial inquiry under retired High Court judge Aruna Jagadeesan and will frame safety rules for public rallies after consultations with all parties," he said, urging people not to spread rumors. AIADMK General Secretary and Opposition Leader Edappadi K. Palaniswami accused the DMK government of failing to ensure basic safety.
"The administration ignored warnings about overcrowding. Accountability must be fixed," he said, demanding immediate action to prevent similar tragedies.
TVK founder Vijay, visibly shaken, announced Rs 20 lakh compensation for each bereaved family and urged his supporters to remain peaceful.
"This is a heartbreaking moment. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims. We will fully cooperate with the inquiry," he said.
With Ponraj's arrest, police have signaled a deeper scrutiny of event management failures and potential negligence within the TVK's organizational structure as public and political pressure mounts for justice.
— IANS
Reader Comments
Finally some accountability! The arrests are necessary. When organizers fail in basic crowd management, they should face consequences. Hope this sets an example for all political parties.
While I appreciate the judicial inquiry, I'm concerned about the political blame game. Both ruling and opposition parties should work together to ensure such tragedies never happen again. The focus should be on victims, not politics.
Electricity failure in such a crowded venue? This shows complete lack of contingency planning. The local administration should also share responsibility for approving such events without proper safety measures.
As someone who has attended political rallies, I can say the excitement often overshadows safety concerns. We need better public awareness about staying safe in large gatherings. My condolences to all affected families.
The fact that women and children were among the victims makes this even more tragic. Political parties must ensure separate, safer sections for vulnerable groups during such events. This should be mandatory! ðŸ™
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.