SpiceJet Navigates Bangladesh Airspace Ban, Plans Major Fleet Expansion

Bangladesh has barred SpiceJet from using its airspace citing pending navigation charges, but the airline states its operations remain unaffected as it engages in discussions. Concurrently, SpiceJet has received a Memorandum of Understanding for the induction of 10 new aircraft as part of a major expansion plan. The airline recently doubled its capacity in the last quarter and aims to more than double it again, targeting 220 crore Available Seat Kilometres by Winter 2026. The expansion focuses on strengthening network connectivity and meeting strong passenger demand.

Key Points: SpiceJet Responds to Bangladesh Airspace Ban, Announces Expansion

  • Airspace access restricted over dues
  • Operations currently unaffected
  • MoU signed for 10 new aircraft
  • Plan to double capacity by Winter 2026
2 min read

SpiceJet responds after Bangladesh bars airline from using airspace over pending dues

SpiceJet says operations unaffected by Bangladesh airspace restrictions over dues. Airline announces MoU for 10 new aircraft and plans to double capacity.

SpiceJet responds after Bangladesh bars airline from using airspace over pending dues
"We are in regular dialogue with the relevant authorities... Our flight operations remain unaffected. - SpiceJet statement"

New Delhi, February 19

Budget Carrier SpiceJet said its operations remain unaffected after Bangladesh barred the airline from using its airspace over pending dues.

The development comes as authorities in Bangladesh restricted the airline's access, citing non-payment of outstanding charges. Responding to the reports, SpiceJet said it is in discussions with the concerned authorities.

"We are in regular dialogue with the relevant authorities on operational and procedural matters, including navigation-related charges. These are routine industry issues, and we are working constructively towards an early resolution. Our flight operations remain unaffected, and we continue to operate our scheduled services in line with regulatory requirements," the airline said in a statement on Thursday.

SpiceJet added that it is working towards resolving the matter at the earliest.

Meanwhile, SpiceJet received a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the induction of 10 aircraft, marking another important step in the airline's ongoing capacity expansion and network rebuilding efforts. This development follows the Board's approval, announced last week, for a calibrated ramp-up of the fleet to 60 aircraft through a mix of wet and damp leases, along with the phased return to service of existing grounded aircraft.

SpiceJet's recovery has gathered pace in recent months. The airline doubled its capacity in the last quarter, with Available Seat Kilometres (ASKMs) rising from around 55 crore to 105 crore, reflecting a sharp increase in network strength.

Building on this momentum, SpiceJet plans to more than double its capacity during the year, targeting 220 crore Available Seat Kilometres by Winter 2026, while operating over 300 daily flights across its network. The expansion is aimed at strengthening connectivity, improving operational reliability and meeting strong passenger demand, while maintaining a disciplined and sustainable approach to growth.

Debojo Maharshi, Chief Business Officer, SpiceJet, said, "Doubling our capacity in the last quarter has been a significant milestone, and the plans we have in place to more than double it further this year reflect growing confidence in the business and strong demand across the network. The receipt of this MoU is an encouraging development as we continue to rebuild and expand our operations in a measured manner. Our focus remains on restoring capacity, strengthening connectivity and improving reliability for our passengers."

- ANI

Share this article:

Reader Comments

P
Priya S
If operations are unaffected, that's the main thing for passengers like me. But the news about expanding the fleet is very positive! More flights and better connectivity is exactly what we need. ✈️
A
Aman W
Typical. Announce big expansion plans while having issues paying basic navigation charges. Maybe focus on financial discipline first? The recovery numbers sound good, but sustainability is key.
S
Sarah B
As a frequent flyer on regional routes, I hope this gets sorted without any flight disruptions. The plans to double capacity are ambitious and exciting for Indian aviation.
V
Vikram M
These are routine issues in aviation, as the statement says. The bigger story is the expansion and 300 daily flights target. That will create jobs and boost tourism. Good going SpiceJet!
K
Kavya N
Just paid for my summer holiday tickets with them. Please don't let this become a bigger problem! 🙏 The MoU for new aircraft is reassuring. Focus on reliability, that's what passengers want most.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50