Blending an engaging mix of some well-known and some as yet unheard tales, this book narrates the extraordinary deeds of real women who have courageously braved all social, economic and familial odds to reach the pinnacle of success in their chosen field of work, thereby setting a shining example for others to follow.
Speaking on the occasion of the book release, Vittorio Colao, CEO, Vodafone Group Plc., said, "This book is unique as it takes the story of these sixty women to inspire a much larger audience. This is but a small token of our admiration and respect for the ladies who have braved all odds to exemplify what every woman is capable of."
Madhu Sirohi, Head, Vodafone Foundation in India, said, "Proceeds from the sale of the Women of Pure Wonder book will be used to empower girl children through the Naz Foundation. It will be our continued endeavour to provide as much support as possible to the cause of women empowerment through our initiatives and programmes."
Among the pioneering ladies who feature in this book include:
· Anita Kumbhar - Potter; also studying for an MBA
· Sua Kalbelia - Kalbelia Dancer; born in a nomadic tribe with a distinctive art form is today a celebrated international performer
· Chhavi Rajawat - completed her MBA and gave up a lucrative corporate sector career to focus on public work. Is presently the sarpanch of Soda village in Rajasthan; introduced villagers to the power of internet.
· Kanku Bai - Trained Mid-wife; uneducated; married at 17; has delivered over 550 healthy babies to date
· Meeratai Umbre - Farmer; formed a women's group to spotlight and encourage innovative farming practices; believer in organic farming
· Laxmi - Acid attack victim; fought a seven year long battle to get the sale of acid at retail outlets regulated; associated with an NGO 'Stop Acid Attacks', that facilitates the bridge between survivors and society
· Kiran Mazumdar Shaw - entrepreneur; started as a trainee manager. No one wanted to lend to her, and no one wanted to work with her when she started. Today, runs a billion dollar enterprise. Her motto, 'Dare to dream and never give up'
· Aruna Roy - social activist; a former IAS officer; now closely associated with the NREGA and founder of Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan
· Nandini Sardesai - educator and activist; married at 18; became a mother and graduated in the same year; fights for gender parity
--IBNS (Posted on 05-12-2013)