Virginius Xaxa, Delhi University professor and member of the National Advisory Council, will head the 10-member committee.
The committee shall suggest policy initiatives to improve development indicators and strengthen delivery of public service to the tribal population.
It will finalise and present its report within nine months.
The committee will look into:
- Regions in which tribal communities of India mostly live.
- Changes in the wake of involuntary displacement and enforced migration.
- Source of earning and newer avenues of employment and livelihood available to them.
- Level of their socio-economic development in terms of relevant indicators such as literacy rate, dropout rate, maternal mortality rate.
- Relative share of public and private sector employment.
- Access to education and health services, municipal infrastructure, bank credit, and other services provided by public sector.
- Structures available for implementing protective legislation involving them.
--IANS (Posted on 17-08-2013)