Home > News > World News
Posted on Oct 27, 07:17PM | IANS
Brazilian top-flight football club Santos has denied speculation that it has agreed to sell striker Neymar to Barcelona.
Catalan daily Sport reported Friday that Barcelona had already made a down-payment of 10 million euros for the 20-year-old as part of an agreement to eventually sign the player for 40 million euros, reports Xinhua.
"Santos rejects any possibility of selling Neymar to Barcelona or any other team," the statement said.
"There are no negotiations taking place. The club reiterates that the striker has committed to Santos until 2014 and the contract will be honoured until the end."
According to the Catalan newspaper, the deposit was paid to Santos, June 30, this year.
Neymar last week emphatically told reporters of his desire to remain at the club he joined as a 12-year-old until the 2014 World Cup.
"When you hear from my mouth or the mouth of my dad that I am leaving, then you can believe it," Neymar said.
"There are always rumours and I have repeatedly said that I am staying. But you (the media) keep insisting that I will leave. So please, believe me for once."