Shinde presents monthly report card for Feb
New Delhi, Mar 11 : Following is the text of the opening statement of Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde at the monthly press conference of Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi on Monday:
"On 7th March, 2013 the ULFA leaders met me and discussed the issues related to peace process. Home Secretary also had a review of the progress made and the measures being taken for rehabilitation of the ULFA cadres.
2. On 7th March, 2013, I held a meeting of the Parliamentary Consultative Committee on Ministry of Home Affairs and discussed the security situation in 8 North-Eastern States. The gradual improvement in the security situation in North-East and bonding with the people of that area is important for emotional integration in the long term security interests of the country.
3. As a result of major initiative taken by the Government of India, three Meitei insurgent groups have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of India and the State Government of Manipur on 13.02.2013 for surrender of its cadres and leaders. These groups are:-
(i) The United Revolutionary Front (URF), comprising various factions of Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP) and its military wing, Manipur Army (MA), have agreed to the surrender of its cadres within the next three months.
(ii) The other group comprises of the KCP (Lamphel), KCP (City Meitei) and KCP (Taibanganba). KCP (Lamphel) has agreed to the surrender of about 70 cadres with immediate effect.
(iii) The third group consists of two factions of Kanglei Yawal Kanna Lup (KYKL), namely, Athouba faction and Achouba faction. This group agreed to surrender 80 cadres over a period of three months.
4. A total of 197 cadres of these groups laid down their arms on 13.02.2013. The leaders and cadres who had joined the peace process will be rehabilitated as per the rehabilitation policy notified by the Ministry of Home Affairs and approved by the State of Manipur.
5. On 18th February 2013, the sanction for prosecution was given to NIA for filing of the Chargesheet against 12 accused persons who are the members of the banned terrorist organisations LeT & HuJI. They hatched a conspiracy to indulge in subversive activities like target killings of important personalities in Bangalore and Hubli to disturb the communal harmony.
6. On 8th February 2013, the Cabinet Secretary led a delegation of officers to Ranchi, Jharkhand and discussed security and Left Wing Extremism (LWE) related issues in the State with the Chief Secretary, DGP, advisors to the Governor of Jharkhand (Shri. Madhukar Gupta and Shri. K.Vijay Kumar).
7. The Minister of State, Shri RPN Singh also visited Ranchi on 19th February, 2013 and reviewed the LWE situation in the State. He also visited Latehar District and held interaction with CRPF personnel deployed in the District.
8. During February 2013, the Integrated Online Visa application system under the Immigration, Visa, Foreigners Registration and Tracking (IVFRT) has been operationalized in Indian Missions at Istanbul, Ankara (Turkey) and Sana (Yemen). This facility is now operational at 106 Indian Missions abroad.
9. On 8th February 2013, the Expenditure Finance Committee approved the Scheme for Special Infrastructure (SIS) for LWE affected States for the 12th Five Year Plan period. The Scheme will focus on upgradation and critical gap filling of training infrastructure, residential infrastructure, weaponry, vehicles, and any other related items pertaining to the Special Forces deployed in the LWE affected States.
10. On 1st February 2013, an amount of Rs. 44.62 crore was released to the State of Bihar under the Scheme for Construction/strengthening of Fortified Police Stations.
11. Under the Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS) project, till date contracts for system Integrators have been signed in 29 States/UTs, advance payment to BSNL has been made in 26 States/UTs and Service Level Agreements (SLA) with BSNL for Networking Solution have been signed in 27 States/UTs. Till date total funds utilized by States/ UTs under CCTNS is Rs. 189.25 crore against a total release of Rs. 432.39 crores to States/ UTs. As part of Capacity Building (Training), training has been imparted to 7.04 lakhs persons under the CCTNS project.
12. On 26th February, 2013, the Rajya Sabha approved the Proclamation issued by the Government on 18th January, 2013 under Article 356(1) of the Constitution of India in relation to the State of Jharkhand.
13. The Project Appraisal Committee on 27th February 2013 approved the proposals from Pinkerton C&I India to train 425 candidates and Rooman Technologies to train 5000 candidates in five years under the scheme, Special Industry Initiatives (SII-J&K) known as 'Udaan'.
14. During February, 2013 an amount of Rs. 10.95 crore has been sanctioned to the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) for acquisition of land and an amount of Rs.114.5 crore has been sanctioned to them for construction of office/residential buildings.
15. 10,466 Police Medals were awarded to the State Police/CAPFs/CPOs personnel, which includes 10,226 Police (Antrik Suraksha) Medal, 239 Police (Special Duty) Medal and 01 Parakram Padak.
16. Government has sanctioned 27 ITBP priority roads along Indo-China border totaling 805 Km. The cumulative works completed is 562.66 Km formation and 248.93 Km of surfacing.
17. Land has been identified for 118 out of 131 Coastal Police Stations under Coastal Security Scheme and land acquisition process for 110 Coastal Police Stations has been initiated. Land for 38 jetties have also been identified by the Coastal States/UTs.
18. Out of the total outlay of Rupees 990 crore earmarked in the budget of 2012-2013 under the Border Area Development Programme, an amount of Rupees 900 crore (90.93%) has been released to 17 States as on 28th February, 2013.
19. During the period from 21st January 2013 to 20th February 2013, Narcotics Control Bureau has seized 373.692 kg of Cannabis herb, 83 kg of Opium, 33 kg of heroin and 20 kg of hashish and arrested a total of 19 persons. The illicit cultivation of cannabis spread over 15 acres of land was also destroyed during the period.
20. The Capture of biometrics, for creation of National Population Register (NPR) using UIDAI enrolment software, is in progress in the States of Manipur, Nagaland, NCT of Delhi, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and West Bengal. As on date, biometrics has been captured for more than 11.35 crore persons, adding 1.16 crore persons during the month. Data Entry has been completed for more than 114.05 crore persons, adding 2.81 crore during the month. Under coastal NPR, more than 62.31 lakh cards have been prepared, so far."