'Shinde's expressed regret, no apology'
New Delhi, Feb 24 : Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had not apologised and only expressed his regret for his 'Hindu terror' remarks that had angered the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
"Well, it is regret. That is the word that has been used," Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath told CNN-IBN news channel in an interview.
He said that the Home Ministr's statement of regret was discussed at meetings he and Shinde had with the BJP leadership to avoid complications later.
Shinde on Wednesday had expressed his "regret" for his "Hindu terror" remarks made last month.
In a statement released on Wednesday evening, the Home Minister said that he regretted that his comments at a Congress conclave in Jaipur last month had "created controversy" and "misunderstanding".
He made the remarks at a time when BJP had threatened to disrupt proceedings of the Budget Session of the Parliament that started from Thursday. The BJP also threatened to boycott the Home Minister.
Shinde said he had "no intention of linking terrorism with any religion. There is no basis for suggesting that terror could be linked with the organisations mentioned in my brief speech at Jaipur."
While the BJP accepted the Home Minister's statement, its ideological parent Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) rejected it.
Speaking at Jaipur, Shinde last month had said, "We have got an investigation report that be it the RSS or BJP, their training camps are promoting Hindu terrorism."
He later clarified that he meant "saffron terrorism" not "Hindu terrorism", however the BJP refused to budge from its call for an apology.