Home > News > More News

Delhi rape victim psychologically stable

Posted on Dec 22, 02:03PM | IBNS

The Delhi girl who withstood the rape and unprecedented torture by a group of men on a bus who then threw her off the vehicle on road to die on Sunday night last is psychologically balanced and is even optimistic about her future though doctors are still worried about her infection, the caregivers at the hospital said on Saturday.

Outside the hospital where the girl battled for life still, India rose in protest with students, women and citizens at large taking their movement to the doorstep of the President of India at Raisina Hill and fought pitched battles with the Delhi police who unleashed batons, water cannons and teargas shells on them.

Doctors said the girl too water and juice and remained pyschologically composed.

"She is psychologically composed. We have used sensitive approach to make her talk to us and she is responding . She is extraordinarily stable and optimistic," said doctors of Safdarjung Hospital.

"She is a brave girl who is even optimistic about her future. She is psychologically totally balanced," said doctors.

The doctors said the girl is better than Friday and more alert as she asked for water herself when she needed it and her vital parameters are optimum.

"All parameters are optimum. But there is still infection and her her Bilirubin level is more, platelet less," said doctors.

"There is chance of infection and it is there," said one of the doctors.

On Friday, the sixth accused in the case was arrested from Aurangabad in Bihar, hours after the fifth accused was arrested from Uttar Pradesh.

On Thursday, one of the four accused in the case was "identified" by the victim's friend during a test identification parade (TIP) at Tihar Jail, a report quoted a senior police official as saying.

The three others arrested till then, Ram Singh, Pawan and Vinay, had refused to undergo the test identification parade.

The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs has convened a meeting on Dec 27 to discuss the Delhi gangrape case and the law and order situation in the country.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, committee's chairman M Venkaiah Naidu said: "The meeting is going to deliberate on issues concerning the rape incidents, the changes, if any, to be made to the statute and also the suggestions for the government."

The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs has sent notices to Union home secretary R K Singh and Delhi police commissioner Neeraj Kumar, asking them to attend the meeting.

The Parliamentary Standing Committee is comprised of 30 members from different political parties.

The girl after watching a movie on Sunday evening along with a male friend had boarded a Whiteline bus where the horror unfolded as she was raped and brutalized with an iron rod. She and her friend, who was also hit with iron rod, were then thrown off the bus on a flyover from where they were later rescued and taken to hospital.

The brutality of the attack led to unprecedented protests that swept India as people from all walks of life took to streets expressing their angst, even as administrators scrambled for words and tried to pacify the outrage with talk of action.

Hundreds continue to gather at India Gate in Delhi every evening with banners and placards, holding candlelight vigils and performing street plays. Protesters also took their stir before the residence of President of India in the high security zone of Delhi.