Security beefed up in view of 20th Babri demolition anniversary
Security was tight in prominent cities and town of Uttar Pradesh on the 20th anniversary of the demolition of Babri mosque in Ayodhya.
However, religious leaders in Ayodhya said it was essential that peace be maintained, and that the grievances of the past be left behind.
"We want peace at any cost, and we want to be allowed to live in peace. As far as the Babri Mosque is concerned, that matter is in the hands of courts and the Congress government," said petitioner in the Babri Masjid demolition case, Hashim Ansari.
A local Hindu cleric, Acharya Satyendra Maharaj, said that he was hopeful of a peaceful resolution to the matter.
"Nothing is impossible in this world. Therefore, a resolution is possible because people's feelings are connected to it. There will be a resolution, whether it is through court or through a mutual agreement," he said.
District Magistrate Ajay Sharma said that steps had been taken to ensure that there was no disruption caused in the lives of ordinary citizens.
"We will not allow ordinary life to be affected in any way. We have made arrangements to prevent any inconvenience to the people. We have made zones, sectors and sub-sectors where officials have been put on duty," Sharma said.
The demolition of the 16th century Babri Mosque by Hindu zealots on December 6, 1992 had triggered widespread religious riots across the country.