Controversial TV presenter Paul Henry axed from revamped Close Up show
Controversial presenter Paul Henry will not be the new man on the revamped show Close Up next year.
He will be back in New Zealand after his struggling Australian breakfast show was axed last week, but MediaWorks, which owns TV3 and RadioLIVE among others, has confirmed Henry would be back on board but were tight-lipped about whether his return would be on screen or via the airwaves.
"We were sorry to lose him to Australia and we're pleased he'll be returning," spokeswoman Rachel Lorimer said.
According to stuff.co.nz, the company was working through the details of the contract and Henry's role had not yet been finalised, she said.
Henry had been touted as the host of a new TVNZ current affairs show to replace Close Up next year, but the Sunday Star- Times understands Henry told a women's magazine he was offered a 7pm current affairs job at TVNZ but opted to honour his contract with Mediaworks, the report added.
His new role with Mediaworks was unlikely to be announced until February.
Henry famously resigned from TVNZ in late 2010 after he was the subject of hundreds of complaints.
His most high-profile gaffes included using a discussion on the Commonwealth Games to make fun of the name of Chief Minister of Delhi Sheila Dikshit and suggesting former Governor-General Sir Anand Satyanand didn't sound like "a real New Zealander", the report added.
As Henry's Australian show continued to flop, rumours TVNZ were chasing Henry hotted up.
TVNZ could not be reached for comment.