Superstitious Brits avoid walking under ladders and believe in lucky underpants
Over ten million people in Britain refuse to walk under ladders for fear that it will bring them bad luck, while a further nine million people believe that breaking a mirror will bring seven years bad fortune, a new research has revealed.
They are also just as superstitious when it comes to bringing about good luck.
According to the research, conducted by The Betway Group, over 800,000 people in the UK have confessed that they believe in the power of lucky underwear, while 2.7 million people admit to holding onto the childhood belief that if you blow out all of your birthday candles in one breath, your wish will come true, the Daily Mail reported.
When it comes to numbers, superstitious Brits consider seven as their luckiest number, followed by the number 13.
Over 4.3 million people believed having a lucky number brought them good fortune.
"People can create luck and good fortune by changing their outlook on life, focusing on grabbing opportunities and creating positive expectations," the paper quoted Richard Wiseman, Professor of the Public Understanding of Psychology at the University of Hertfordshire as saying.
"People also create their own superstitions and rituals in the belief it will change their fortunes. For many people wearing a lucky football shirt, or not putting their top on until they run onto the pitch, will change their mood provide a real boost in performance during the game," he stated.
"It is possible through neural programming to think yourself lucky," he added.
Top superstitions as revealed by the survey are as follows -
1. If you walk under a ladder you will have bad luck
2. To break a mirror will bring seven years bad luck
3. To open an umbrella in the house will bring bad luck
4. Putting new shoes on the table brings bad luck
5. Friday the thirteenth is an unlucky day
6. If a black cat crosses your path you will have bad luck
7. If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake in one go you will get whatever you wish for
8. Walking over three drains brings bad luck
9. A lock from a baby's first haircut should be kept for good luck
10. A rabbit's foot brings good luck
11. Avoid stepping of cracks to avoid bad luck
12. Washing a car will bring rain
13. Wearing a certain pair of pants will bring good luck
And the top five lucky numbers are: