Sangay slams China's remark on UN observation
The Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) Thursday condemned China's dismissal of the recent UN statement on Tibet as interference in its internal affairs.
The CTA also refuted allegations that the Tibetan leadership is behind the current protests in Tibet.
"The blame and solution for the present tragedy in Tibet lies entirely with Beijing," Lobsang Sangay, CTA's elected head, said in a statement.
Insiders said the reaction of Sangay, who took over the reins of the government-in-exile last year, came at a time when the 18th Congress of the Communist Party of China opened in Beijing Thursday.
"We welcome representatives of the Chinese government as well as that of any independent international body to investigate these allegations by visiting our offices in Dharamsala (in India)," the political successor to the Dalai Lama said.
Applauding UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay's request to the Chinese to "promptly address" the longstanding grievances of the people in Tibet, Sangay said: "As noted by Pillay, China should accept the requests for official visits to China by UN Special Rapporteurs on various human rights issues."
"Like Gary Locke, US Ambassador to China, we urge other ambassadors and members of the press to visit Tibetan areas and investigate the present human rights situation," he said.
Meanwhile, the CTA has expressed concern over the worsening situation in Tibet involving self-immolations by six Tibetans across Tibet since Wednesday.
A total of 69 people have reportedly self-immolated themselves since March 2009 to protest Beijing's "repressive policies" in Tibet and demand the return of the Dalai Lama to his homeland, it said.
India is home to around 1,00,000 Tibetans and the Tibetan government-in-exile, which is not recognised by any other country.