This monsoon, keep fungal infections at bay
New Delhi August 12 : Monsoon has been here for a while now, but it's not just the muddy roads and never ending traffic, which is a matter of concern. Monsoon brings with it skin and fungal infection that can be downright uncomfortable for anyone.Humidity in air and excessive sweating tends to favour fungus to grow and multiply at a rapid rate. Fungus needs moisture and warmth, and monsoon provides it a conducive atmosphere to thrive and multiply.
The fungal infections are usually caused by humidity, which further leads to dandruff and dermatitis. The symptoms of the scalp fungal infections are quite different from the normal fungal infections. You can occasionally see small boils or sticky crust on your scalp. You must seek professional help as soon as you see this. If not treated on time, they can lead to hair loss.
As suggested by Dr. Rohit Batra who is a dermatologist at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital & Dermaworld Skin & Hair Clinic New Delhi. The most common symptoms include-
- Itchy Scalp
- Flaky Hair
- Boils on the scalp
- Patches of hair loss
Fungus is all around us; but if we take these necessary precautions and keep our immunity levels strong, there is no chance fungus can grow on us.
You can fight off these fungal infections with few of these easy yet effective steps that we have collated:
- Dry Up: During unexpected rains, a few drops of water always tend to fall on your hair. If not dried up properly, they often created moisture in your hair, especially if they are tied up. This leads to fungal infections and other hair problems that can lead to hair fall.
- Stay Clean: The main mantra to avoid any fungal infections during monsoon is to keep yourself absolutely clean. You must wash your hair every alternate day, and make sure to dry it well after taking a head shower.
- Choose the right products: During monsoons, you must make sure that you are choosing the right product to keep the fungal infections at bay. Just like you are advised to use antibacterial soap for skin, you must go for herbal products for the hair.
- Neem effect: Neem is a magic ingredient to help you survive through the monsoons. You can either soak it in water or use that water to wash your hair or simply make a paste of neem leaves and apply it on your hair. They are very effective to help you avoid fungal infections from the very starting.
- Consult an expert: The worst mistake most people do is not seeing a dermatologist. People usually just go for the over the counter pills and assume their fungal infections will be cured. However, the home remedies do not work the same for everyone. The fungal infection pattern and cause is different in different people. The way it affects and spreads through also varies from one person to another.
An expert would review the condition and then provide options for the same. There are multiple treatment options which an expert can offer you in order to treat the fungal infection.