Preventive measures against strokes (With: 'India in midst of a stroke epidemic') (Health Feature)
Posted on Feb 04 2014 | IANS
Following are some preventive measures to guard against strokes, as prescribed by Shakir Husain, chief of interventional nueurology at New Delhi's Saket City Hospital:
* Lead a simple, yogic life: Eat simple, beat stress through physical and mental exercise by conditioning the body and mind to be calm and flexible.
* Lifestyle modification: Incorporate physical exercise in your daily routine, create happiness and instil peace in your surroundings.
* Dietary regulation: Watch and reduce the intake of saturated fats, consume more fibre and create a good balance of protein, fibre, carbohydrates and polyunsaturated fats.
* Measure your food: One's calorie intake should be with accordance to his or her nature of work. A sedentary worker's calorie intake should be less than that of a field worker.
* Adopt good habits: Control temper and work toward the maintenance of well-balanced and flexible personality. Stop smoking. Reduce, rather avoid, consumption of alcohol.