Assam violence: Death toll at 32
Posted on May 03 2014 | IBNS
Guwahati, May 3 : The death toll in the killings by suspected NDFB (S) militants in two districts of Assam rose to 32 on Saturday with recovery of five more bodies, said reports.
Earlier in the day, four bodies recovered from Baksa district.
A curfew has been imposed, along with shoot-at-sight orders in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Baksa districts.
The death toll touched 23 with the recovery of 12 bodies on Friday, fuelling fresh ethnic tensions in the region that had witnessed massive killings and displacement two years ago, reports said.
The Army has been called in to control the situation after the killings unleashed by the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbijit faction).
The bodies were recovered from Narayanguri and Nonkesh Hagribari village in Baska district adjoining the Manas National Park.
Seven people were killed in the wee hours on Friday in Kokrajhar district of the state in indiscriminate firing by the militants while three others were killed in Baska on Thursday.
The region had witnessed widespread ethnic violence two years ago between the Muslims and Bodos.
While over 100 people died in the violence in 2012, countless people were rendered homeless.