Chennai, May 1 UNI | 3 months ago

In the first such incident in this metropolis, two low intensity bombs exploded in the Bangalore-Guwuhati Triweekly Superfast express, soon after it arrived at the Chennai Central Station this morning, snuffing the life out of a bubbling 24-year-old woman TCS employee, besides injuring 14 others.

Police and Railway sources said the explosions took place in the S4 and S5 coaches, about ten minutes after the train arrived on Platform No.9 from Bangalore at 0705, about 90 minutes behind the scheduled time of 0530 hrs.

The bombs were placed under Seat Number 70 in S-4 coach and under Seat Number 30 in the S-5 coach.

Police and Railway officials confirmed that one woman,
Swati, who was proceeding to Vijayawada enroute to Guntur and yearning to meet her parents for the first time in four months after getting the job at TCS in Bangalore in January, was killed in the blasts, the first ever such incident in a train in Chennai city.
Fourteen others were injured and were admitted to the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital, where the condition of all of them were stable, doctors attending on them said.

Though two people, who suffered extensive injuries in their lower limbs, underwent surgeries the condition of all them were stable.

"They were being given the best of teatment and they will be back to normal life soon", the doctors said.

Southern Railway General Maager Rakesh Mishra, who was among the first to rush to the spot, announced an assistance of Rs one lakh to the family of the deceased woman, Rs 25,000 to two seriously injured and Rs 5,000 each to those who suffered minor injuries.

Mr Mishra said "it is difficult to say what kind of blast, whether IED or timer device. The train came at 0705 hrs and the blast occurred at 0715 hrs", he added.

"It is also difficult to say how the bomb was operated. Tamil Nadu DGP K Ramanujam, who inspected the blast
site, said the nature of the device used in the blast was being ascertained.
He said it was premature to say the nature of device used in the explosions, adding, "we will probe all angles to ascertain the nature of the device used in the blast".

"We are not taking this lightly. We will probe all angles...a thorough investigation will be conducted", he added.

Observing that Chennai might not have been the target as the train was running late by more than one-and-a-half hours, he said a Special Investigation Team (SIT) would probe the case.

Terming the blasts minor and low-intensity ones, the DGP said for those who have planted the bombs, Chennai might not be the target because the train was running late (by 95 mts).

"Their (those who were behind this) target might have been some other location", the DGP said.

The blasts took place a day after the Tamil Nadu 'Q'

Branch Police, dealing with cases of terrorism and extremism, nabbed a Sri Lankan Tamil, Sakir Hussain (37), for his suspected role as an agent for ISI operative based in Colombo.

Meanwhile, security has been tightened across all Railway stations and in Chennai City in view of the blasts.

All important places, vital installations like airports, temples and places of worship and in places where public congregate in large numbers, have come under thick security blanket.

While announcing solatium to the deceased family and the injured passengers, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa strongly condemned the blasts and ordered a CB-CID probe to bring the perpetrators to justice.

After detaching the ill-fated coaches, the train left for Guwahati at around 1100 hrs.

(Posted on 01-05-2014)