Major fire renders 158 families homeless, razes mosque in Dimapur
A major fire that broke out in Rio colony, Signal Basti of Dimapur town yesterday rendered more than 150 families homeless in a slum area, which included a mosque. However, no casualty was reported.
According to official sources today the fire, the cause of which could not be ascertained, erupted from a house yesterday and immediately spread to the neighbouring congested houses. The fire completely razed to ashes an unaccounted number of tin-roofed residential thatch structures leased out on rent. A Muslim prayer house was also destroyed by the flames.
Altogether 40 fire tenders, helped by local residents and neighbours fought more than four hours to bring the flames under control. However, no human casualty was reported. The Fire and Emergency Services in Dimapur informed that eight fire tenders were requisitioned, including two from Chumukedima Fire Station. The fire affected some 30,000 square feet area. At least three to four LPG cylinders exploded as a result the fire turned into inferno, which was suspected to have erupted from an unattended fireplace.
The affected families are mostly daily wage earners and small-time businessmen. The Muslim Council, Dimapur (MCD) put the number of families affected at 158. The MCD and the Bengali Samaj, Dimapur, were on site with relief material for the affected, it was informed. The district administration responded with 20 bags of rice.
(Posted on 13-04-2014)