30 candidates remain in fray in Puducherry constituency
Thirty candidates are there in the fray to fight the April 24 elections to the Lok Sabha from Puducherry constituency with three independents withdrawing their nomination papers, when withdrawal of nomination papers came to and end here today.
Addressing a press conference here, District Collector and District Election Officer Deepak Kumar said seven candidates of the recognised national and regional political parties and four candidates of political parties recognised in other states and not in Puducherry, besides 19 independents, were in the fray.
Two ballotting units would be used because of the 30 candidates contesting the elections, Mr Kumar said, adding 61 areas in Puducherry, nine in Karaikal, one in Mahe and six in Yanam were identified as sensitive and additional security would be provided to 120 booths in those areas during the polls.
He said four companies of para-military forces had already reached Puducherry for election duty and another three would be coming before elections.
As many as 116 complaints of the Model Code of Conduct of elections were received and 47 FIRs filed, he added.
(Posted on 09-04-2014)