Indian sweet jalebi among world's most fattening foods
Jalebi is one of the favourite sweets of Indians, but it has featured on an American news website's list of fattening food items across the globe.
Huffingtonpost.com has come out with the following list of unhealthy dishes in the world:
* Jalebi, India: Jalebi is a deep-fried dough that is soaked in a sugary syrup. This plain fried dough is unhealthy on its own.
* Calzone, Italy: A traditional calzone uses the same amount of dough as an entire pizza-which serves four people. The Campania region of Italy gave birth to this version of pizza that is even unhealthier than the original. In a calzone, tomatoes, mozzarella and other traditional pizza toppings are stuffed into an easy-to-eat dough pocket and then served.
* Acaraje, Brazil: A mere tablespoon of palm oil contains seven grams of saturated fat that makes the food taste great but is bad for health. Brazil's acaraje is a black-eyed peas formed into a ball, deep-fried in palm oil, and then stuffed with spicy pastes made from dried shrimp, ground cashews and more palm oil.
* Churros, Spain: A popular way for locals here to start the day is with a meal of churros. These are fried-dough pastries which are dipped in sugar and cinnamon and then dipped in a thick hot-chocolate drink.
* Khachapuri, Georgia: It's a bread bowl that is stuffed with melted cheese and topped with an egg and a large pad of butter.
* Nutella crepes, France: Two tablespoons of sweet chocolaty Nutella spread has 200 calories (110 of which are from fat). Many street carts and restaurants there fry up batter in butter and make thin pancake-like pockets which deliver Nutella. The crepes are usually topped with powdered sugar and sometimes even whipped cream.
* Deep-fried Mars bars, Scotland: A Mars bar which is deep-fried is a melted chocolate bar. The Mars candy company feels that the deep-fried dessert is not in line with the company's goal of promoting a 'healthy and active' lifestyle.
* Ramen, Japan: Ramen has exploded in popularity over the last few years. It is a traditional Japanese soup dish consisting of noodles in broth, topped with a variety of meats and vegetables. Soup is basically a health food but the broth is made with beef, lard and oil that really packs a fat punch even if the noodles aren't fried.
(Posted on 09-04-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign