Sindhuratna: PIL demands compensation
Posted on Mar 13 2014 | IBNS
New Delhi, Mar 13 : A Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed in the Supreme Court has demanded Rs 1 crore compensation for the families of the Navy personnel who fell victims to the INS Sindhuratna mishap.
A preliminary inquiry set up to probe into the INS Sindhuratna mishap, on Mar 7 said the accident took place due "human error".
On Mar 3, reports said the tragedy occurred due to a fire in some cables in the third compartment of the submarine.
Earlier, reports said the fire in the submarine was caused by some faulty batteries.
The Indian Navy on Feb 27 said it has set up a probe panel to investigate the INS Sindhuratna mishap that killed two sailors and injured seven others.
At least two sailors died and seven other Navy personnel were injured in a mishap inside the INS Sindhuratna, a Kilo-class submarine, off the Mumbai coast on Feb 26.
"Smoke was seen coming out of the vessel during a routine exercise. It was brought under control within 24 hours," said Navy PRO Rahul Sinha.
INS Sindhuratna (S59) is a Sindhughosh-class diesel-electric submarine of the Indian Navy.
In August last year, at least 18 Navy personnel were killed in a fire onboard INS Sindhurakshak submarine that sank after an explosion.