Summer-proof your skin from sins
The summer season is setting in and it's time to keep a special check on your skin. Keep away from smoking and stress to maintain the glow on your face, suggests an expert.
Sirisha Singh of the Skin Center, a skin treatment consultancy, has shared six common sins which have the potential to spoil one's skin. Here's a dekko:
* Smoking: Nicotine intake not only damages, but has the potential to kill the skin. It causes thinning of blood vessels in the skin. Therefore, lesser amount of oxygen is available to the skin, and that affects the ability of the skin to renew and regenerate. Over a period of time, this hastens ageing of the skin. Many heavy smokers also suffer from "fag lines" which are lines that radiate out from the outer edge of the lips.
* Unprotected sun exposure: This comes a close second to nicotine in terms of skin sins. Cumulative exposure to ultra violet rays over the years, adds up to significant skin damage and adds years to the skin. The UV light causes pigmentation of the skin, damages the collagen (the elastic tissue) of the skin and in extreme cases, also has the potential to cause skin cancers.
* Wearing make-up to bed: During the night, the skin rejuvenates itself. The temperature of the skin goes up a notch and the pores open up. Hence, it is vital to cleanse the skin at night to unplug the pores and use night creams or vitamin rich creams overnight as they penetrate better at night.
* Stress: Stress causes damage to almost all organs of the body, the skin being no exception. During stress, our body releases a hormone called cortisol. This reduces the blood supply to the skin and over a period of time, the skin may appear dull, sallow and may also develop acne.
* Skipping sleep: The term "beauty sleep" is not a myth. It is based on scientific facts. During sleep, our body releases growth hormone. This hormone helps the skin to heal itself and adds a healthy glow.
* Unhealthy eating: During summers, the heat and UV rays cause significant oxidative damage to skin and other organs. Brightly coloured fruits and vegetables are rich in anti-oxidants, which help in combating this damage. If our intake of anti-oxidants in the diet is inadequate, there is extensive damage to cells which is manifested as accelerated ageing.
(Posted on 12-03-2014)
Information on States of India:
Andaman Nicobar | Andhra Pradesh | Arunachal Pradesh | Assam | Bihar | Chandigarh | Chhattisgarh | Dadar Nagar Haveli | Daman Diu | Delhi | Goa | Gujarat | Haryana | Himachal Pradesh | Jammu Kashmir | Jharkhand | Karnataka | Kerala | Lakshadweep | Madhya Pradesh | Maharashtra | Manipur | Meghalaya | Mizoram | Nagaland | Orissa | Pondicherry | Punjab | Rajasthan | Sikkim | Tamil Nadu | Tripura | Uttar Pradesh | Uttaranchal | West Bengal
INDIA REGIONAL MAPS:
Andhra Pradesh Travel Map | Bihar Travel Map | Goa Travel Map | Gujarat Travel Map | Haryana Travel Map | Himachal Pradesh Map | Karnataka Travel Map | Kerala Travel Map | Maharashtra Travel Map | Punjab Travel Map | Rajasthan Travel Map | Sikkim Travel Map | Tamil Nadu Travel Map | Uttar Pradesh Travel Map | West Bengal Travel Map |
KERALA TRAVEL MAPS:
TRAVEL MAPS OF INDIA:
INDIA CITY MAPS: