One killed in Vizag, submarine programme safe
Posted on Mar 09 2014 | IANS
Visakhapatnam, March 9 : One person was killed in an accident here at a shipbuilding centre where three nuclear-powered submarines are being developed. But the DRDO said Sunday this won't hit the programme.
"The submarines are safe and the accident (Saturday) does not adversely affect the project," the Defence Research and Development Organisation said in a statement.
According to DRDO, a contractual worker lost his life while two others were injured in the accident when a pressure tank was being tested.
"During testing of a pressure tank at a facility ... related to development of submarines, an accident took place (outside the submarine) at about 5 p.m.," said the statement.
The accident took place when the tank's lid fell on the workers as pressure of the hydraulic tank of the Arihant class submarine was being tested.
Under the Arihant class submarine development programme, India is building three submarines.
DRDO clarified the accident would not hit the programme. "The submarines are safe and the accident does not adversely affect the project."
Two injured were under treatment. DRDO said an inquiry had been ordered.
This is the latest in a series of accidents to hit the Indian navy.
A naval officer was killed and some dock workers were injured due to a gas leak in an under-construction ship at the Mazagaon dock in Mumbai.
Two officers were killed and seven others injured in a fire aboard a navy submarine INS Sindhuratna off Mumbai Feb 26.
A blast sank submarine INS Sindhurakshak in August last year, killing all 18 sailors and officers on board.
Navy chief Admiral D.K. Joshi resigned last month owning responsibility for the series of accidents.