Metallic toys may harm your kid's health
Dazzling metallic toys attract your kids in no time but they may end up harming their health and have irreversible effects on their intellectual development, a new study has found.
This is because metallic toys and low-cost jewellery often contain toxic substances such as lead and cadmium.
As babies and young children often put the things they play with in their mouth, they may inadvertently swallow some of these toxic substances too.
The study shows that these metals can be mobilised into digestive fluids once contaminated items are swallowed.
"We observed that cadmium and lead contamination, both very toxic metals, are a major problem, especially when it comes to metallic jewellery and toys. Copper, nickel, arsenic and antimony were also present in some samples," said Gerald J. Zagury, a professor at the Polytechnique Montreal in Canada.
The researchers examined metal contamination in a selection of 72 toys and jewellery items purchased in the North American market.
They then conducted tests on 24 samples by recreating the biochemical conditions of the gastrointestinal system in the lab in order to get an accurate answer.
The researchers also observed that cadmium, lead and nickel in some samples exceeded the safety threshold levels that a child can be exposed to without suffering acute harmful effects like abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
The study appeared in the journal Environmental Science and Technology.
(Posted on 06-03-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign