Top five must haves for cruises
If winter is too cold for your liking, pack bags and set off for cruising to places with moderate climate. But make sure to take the essentials like a small bag, documents and suitable apparel.
Ratna Chadha, chief executive, TIRUN Travel Marketing- India Representative of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., shares a list of must-pack items for cruisers:
* Small bag: Pack a small bag consisting of a set of clothes, that you would like to change into. The bag should be spacious enough to carry travel documents, necessary medicines and maybe even a swimsuit. Your checked in baggage may take a while to be delivered to your cabin. If you carry the small bag with these essentials, you don't have to wait to enjoy the pool and other amenities on board.
* Passport and other documents: Apart from your cruise ticket, take your passport and identity proof too. Be sure you have the necessary visas for the countries you may be visiting as part of your cruise itinerary. Also, don't forget to take important health information like a quick list of any health conditions and prescriptions that you take. You should also make a list of emergency phone numbers for yourself.
* Suitable formal clothing: Cruise brochure will have all the details related to formal evenings. It's best to follow the guidelines and pack in a jacket or two for men, and semi-formal evening dresses for the ladies. Layers of clothing should also be packed as evenings at sea may get a bit chilly on the deck. This way you won't have to shop for sweaters from the expensive shops on board.
* Alarm clock: It's easy to lose track of time when you are on a ship. To avoid missing out on buffet breakfasts or other meals, make use of the alarm clock.
* Reading material: Carry a book to read along. Lying on a sun bed on the pool deck with a cocktail by your side and a good book in hand is simply bliss.
(Posted on 17-01-2014)