Hair care tips for winter
Your hair can lose its lustre if you don't take proper care in winter. Invest in a good shampoo, avoid hairdryer and oil your locks regularly to make sure they are shiny and healthy, says an expert.
Britain-based hairstylist Asgar Saboo suggests tips to help keep your tresses looking glossy, moisturised and full of life:
* Invest in a good quality shampoo and conditioner to get a healthy shine. But avoid using too much of shampoo, as it is a fact that due to cold winter winds, your hair and scalp are left dry. Wash your hair not more than twice a week and use lukewarm water to avoid frizziness and to maximise moisture.
* A hair conditioner is a must. Apply a suitable conditioner each time you wash your hair, focusing only on the strands of hair, avoiding the scalp. This provides a shine to your hair and prevents it from breakage.
* Add a hair treatment mask once a week to your hair care routine to keep your locks healthy.
* Avoid using a hairdryer. Ideally, it is always good to let your hair dry naturally. If you are using a hairdryer, don't over dry your hair as it will leave it frizzy and damaged. Try to set your hairdryer on the 'cool' mode as it is gentler, although it might be a little time consuming.
* Try not to leave the house with wet hair. The cold weather can freeze the hair at the cuticle and cause it to break.
* If you use heat styling tools, like curling tongs or hair straighteners, then you must always use a good quality, nourishing heat defence spray or leave-in conditioner to protect your hair and keep it looking glossy and hydrated. This is especially important during winter, when cold wind, rain and the added heat from styling tools all contribute to hair damage.
* Use natural oil. In extreme weather, be it winter or summer, it is essential to put moisture back in your hair to prevent it from breaking. Moisturise your hair once a week with a hot oil treatment to promote a healthy scalp and nourished hair. Some natural oils that work particularly well include coconut oil, avocado oil and almond oil.
* Trim your hair. It is essential to refresh your haircut regularly in order to get rid of split ends. Aim to get it done every six to eight weeks, as this will promote healthy hair and hair growth.
* Cover your crown to protect your hair from the cold. Make sure to wear a scarf or a hat to lock in the moisture of your tresses and to save it from breakage.
* Also to avoid frizzy, static-prone hair in the winter months, keep your hair tied up as much as possible, particularly when out and about, and especially when exercising.
(Posted on 17-01-2014)
Information on States of India:
Andaman Nicobar | Andhra Pradesh | Assam | Bihar | Chandigarh | Chhattisgarh | Dadar Nagar Haveli | Daman Diu | Delhi | Goa | Gujarat | Haryana | Himachal Pradesh | Jammu Kashmir | Jharkhand | Karnataka | Kerala | Lakshadweep | Madhya Pradesh | Maharashtra | Manipur | Meghalaya | Mizoram | Nagaland | Orissa | Pondicherry | Punjab | Rajasthan | Sikkim | Tamil Nadu | Tripura | Uttar Pradesh | Uttaranchal | West Bengal
INDIA REGIONAL MAPS:
Andhra Pradesh Travel Map | Bihar Travel Map | Goa Travel Map | Gujarat Travel Map | Haryana Travel Map | Himachal Pradesh Map | Karnataka Travel Map | Kerala Travel Map | Maharashtra Travel Map | Punjab Travel Map | Rajasthan Travel Map | Sikkim Travel Map | Tamil Nadu Travel Map | Uttar Pradesh Travel Map | West Bengal Travel Map |
MORE MAPS OF INDIA:
INDIA CITY MAPS:
KERALA TRAVEL MAPS: