Home > News > west-bengal-news


IIT KgP launches food in tube

By Hashir Mohammed Khaled, Kolkata, Feb 17 : The Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT KgP) recently launched food in tube for kids, owing to the increasing rate of malnourished kids in India.


The food which is in tube is rich in vitamins, proteins, minerals and other vital nutrients.

According to reports, 55 percent of children in rural India and 45 percent in urban population are severely malnourished.

After launching the food in tube, the researchers noted that such food will act as a vital tool, which will benefit to combat acute malnutrition in kids attaining the age of 6 months to 6 years.

Such problems are dealt very seriously in many developing as well as in developed countries, the researchers said.

According to a report of UN, which states that 15 percent of these afflicted children requires medical attention, while the remaining 85 percent can be treated with diet therapy.

Dr H N Mishra, professor at IIT KGP's agricultural and food engineering department said, "In this context, the main intention behind such product was to provide essential nutrition to these ailing children in order to fight diseases."

"The digestive system of the children, is very weak, therefore this food in tube enables the malnourished children to eat food unlike normal children," Mishra said.

He said, "The research proposal was floated by the Center's department of biotechnology in the year 2011, while IIT KGP took an active part in this research and development, packaging, processing quality evaluation and storage work," Mishra said.

Danny Shajie an IIT KGP, senior researcher, who was a part of the research team, said, "The children with severe acute malnutrition are outpatients, and this product can help them to maintain nutrition level."

The product is entirely organic with no additives or artificial preservatives.

--IBNS (Posted on 17-02-2014)

Share this Post:


Post Your Comments

Information on States of India:

Andaman Nicobar | Andhra Pradesh | Assam | Bihar | Chandigarh | Chhattisgarh | Dadar Nagar Haveli | Daman Diu | Delhi | Goa | Gujarat | Haryana | Himachal Pradesh | Jammu Kashmir | Jharkhand | Karnataka | Kerala | Lakshadweep | Madhya Pradesh | Maharashtra | Manipur | Meghalaya | Mizoram | Nagaland | Orissa | Pondicherry | Punjab | Rajasthan | Sikkim | Tamil Nadu | Tripura | Uttar Pradesh | Uttaranchal | West Bengal

INDIA REGIONAL MAPS:

Andhra Pradesh Travel Map | Bihar Travel Map | Goa Travel Map | Gujarat Travel Map | Haryana Travel Map | Himachal Pradesh Map | Karnataka Travel Map | Kerala Travel Map | Maharashtra Travel Map | Punjab Travel Map | Rajasthan Travel Map | Sikkim Travel Map | Tamil Nadu Travel Map | Uttar Pradesh Travel Map | West Bengal Travel Map |

MORE MAPS OF INDIA:

Airports of India | Districts of India | India Pilgrim Centers | Tourism Map of India | National Highways in India | India Railway Routes |

INDIA CITY MAPS:

Ahmadabad | Bangalore | Chennai | Coimbatore | Delhi | Hyderabad/Secunderabad | Kochi | Kolkata | Mumbai | Pondicherry | Pune | Surat |

KERALA TRAVEL MAPS:

Alappuzha | Ernakulam | Idukki | Kannur | Kasaragod | Kollam | Kottayam | Kozhikode | Malappuram | Palakkad | Pathanamthitta | Thiruvananthapuram | Thrissur | Wayanad |

More west-bengal-news: