Tuesday, February 09 2016

Home > News > Cricket News

U19 I-L: Pune FC draw against PIFA Colaba FC

Posted on Feb 14 2014 | IBNS

Mumbai, Feb 14 : Pune FC was held to a goalless draw by PIFA Colaba FC in a Round-5 encounter of the Under-19 I-League 2014 at the Pune FC Training Pitches in Mamurdi on Friday.

Pune FC's poor finishing along with some questionable decisions by the referee saw the game remain goalless.

The draw also meant Pune FC remained second in the table with seven points from four games.

Coach Naushad Moosa made one change to the team from the last match starting defender Md. Saukat in place of Sanchayan Samadder. The change also meant Subhasish Bose moved up from the left back to left wing.

The hosts were the first to go close inside ten minutes when defender Rohit Kalsotra got into the clear on the right flank. However, his low curling cross into the box for striker Vikas Zanje on the run, was just too far.

Eight minutes later, medio Altamash Sayed's freekick from the edge of the box on the right sailed agonisingly over the crossbar after winger Chesterpaul Lyngdoh was fouled.

The game had turned into a physical battle as the visitors went and stayed down on every challenge.

Into the final ten minutes of the half, winger Subhasish Bose created an excellent chance. Dribbling from the flanks on the right, he made his way past a couple of defenders before getting on the edge of the box. However, Subhasish took too much time to attempt a shot and saw the ball cleared as both teams went into the break tied at goalless.

The second half was a similar story as Pune FC kept on pushing ahead while PIFA opted to play a waiting game as they defended deep.

As the opponents continued with their physical game, some heated moments saw them punching and elbowing the Pune FC players. However, the referee failed to take any action towards these incidents.

At the hour mark, Chesterpaul cut in from the right and sent in a cross into the box. Striker Yumnam Arnold Singh timed his run to perfection and managed to connect his header only for the keeper to save.

Eight minutes later, Vikas once again went close. This time his header from the left was saved by the keeper and the rebound fell for Arnold on the far side. However, the striker's shot on the turn went wide.

The hosts kept on pushing ahead but were outnumbered by the PIFA defense who somehow cleared al balls into the box. Defender Md. Saukat, substitute Manimaran R. and Altamash all went close in the final minutes but were unable to score.

Latest News: