Denture swallowed three years back removed in Delhi hospital
For the last three years, Usha Rani had difficulty in swallowing. It is only now that the 63-year-old can eat easily after the removal of a denture that she swallowed accidentally.
Undetected until now, the denture was removed Monday by doctors at the Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute, Paschim Vihar, Delhi.
Rani, who weighed 45 kg was brought to the hospital with a history of progressive difficulty in swallowing.
Despite undergoing tests in the past, she gained no relief. Diagnosed as having a cancerous stricture of the oesophagus (narrowing of food pipe), Rani was advised its removal.
However, on investigation, senior consultants at the hospital found that the denture was lying stuck in the lower oesophagus without any signs of it being cancerous.
"The surgery was conducted to remove the stuck denture through a transhiatal abdominal approach, avoiding a chest incision. A small incision was made in the stomach. The use of balloon catheter allowed the visualisation of the denture which helped us separate it from the mucosal lining," said S.K. Abrol, senior consultant, general surgery department, who conducted the one-and-a-half hour operation along with Rajesh Valeja.
He added that the denture was brought out successfully from the small gastrotomy incision and that Rani is fine now.
(Posted on 10-02-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign