Key Points

A newly inaugurated medical college block in Kozhikode has experienced a second smoke incident, raising serious safety concerns. The Rs 195-crore facility, which houses the casualty department, was already under scrutiny after five patient deaths during a previous smoke event. Local MP M.K. Raghavan has demanded a comprehensive investigation, promising to escalate the matter to both Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. Hospital authorities maintain that the smoke incidents are minor and do not pose significant risks, though political parties and local workers continue to press for a detailed probe.

Key Points: Kozhikode Medical College Block Smoke Sparks Safety Probe

  • Smoke detected during electrical inspection amid ongoing safety controversy
  • Five patients died in previous incident, hospital denies direct causation
  • Political parties demand thorough investigation of new medical block
  • Kozhikode Corporation mayor urges against public panic
2 min read

Smoke detected again at Kozhikode Medical College's new block during inspection

Second smoke incident at new medical college block raises safety concerns, with MP demanding comprehensive investigation into construction and facility management

"I will bring this matter to the notice of Prime Minister Narendra Modi - M.K. Raghavan, Kozhikode MP"

Kozhikode, May 5

Just three days after smoke engulfed the newly inaugurated Rs 195-crore block of the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital -- which houses the casualty department -- smoke was again detected on Monday afternoon.

The incident occurred while officials from the Electrical Inspectorate were inspecting the site of the short circuit that took place on Friday night.

The earlier incident on Friday had sparked a controversy after five patients died. However, hospital authorities clarified that the deaths were not due to the smoke, stating that four of the patients were terminally ill, and one had been brought in dead.

Following the initial incident, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan directed Health Minister Veena George to visit the hospital. After her visit, she announced that a comprehensive investigation would be conducted and that patients would only be relocated back to the building after it is deemed safe.

On Monday, Kozhikode MP M.K. Raghavan, who visited the hospital following reports of renewed smoke, said the hospital principal had informed him that around 20 patients were present on the third floor at the time.

“I will bring this matter to the notice of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, as the building was funded under a Central government project. I will also write to Chief Minister Vijayan. A detailed probe is urgently needed -- covering every stage from construction to commissioning,” said Raghavan.

The hospital principal later clarified that the smoke was detected in an unused room on the sixth floor. The inspection team had noticed a spark during the checks, which caused a brief smoke incident that was quickly brought under control.

Meanwhile, Congress workers gathered at the hospital, demanding a thorough investigation, stating that most patients at the facility belong to economically weaker sections.

BJP workers had also raised concerns after Friday’s incident, while CPI(M) cadres remained largely silent.

Attempting to calm tensions, Kozhikode Corporation Mayor Beena Philip, from the ruling CPI(M), urged the media not to sensationalise the issue and create panic among the public.

- IANS

Share this article:

Reader Comments

R
Rajesh K.
This is absolutely shocking! A ₹195 crore building having electrical issues is unacceptable. Were proper quality checks done during construction? Heads must roll for this negligence. Patients' lives are at stake here. 😠
P
Priya M.
As someone from Kerala, I'm deeply concerned. Our medical infrastructure should be our pride, not a danger zone. The government must act fast - this isn't about politics, it's about people's lives. Hope the investigation is transparent.
S
Suresh V.
Why is there so much hurry to inaugurate projects before proper testing? This seems to be happening across India. First the Morbi bridge, now this. We need stricter accountability in public projects.
A
Ananya R.
My heart goes out to the patients and staff who had to endure this trauma twice in three days! 😔 The hospital's clarification about the deaths seems insensitive - even if patients were terminally ill, their last moments shouldn't be in panic.
V
Vikram N.
While the situation is serious, let's not make it political. All parties should work together to fix this. The mayor has a point about not creating panic, but transparency is equally important. Hope they conduct proper safety audits across all new hospital buildings.
M
Meena P.
This shows how we compromise on safety standards. The contractor, engineers, and officials involved must be held accountable. Just imagine if this was a private hospital - the outrage would be 10x more! Public healthcare deserves equal importance.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50