Sat, 23 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 23, 2026 · 19:06
Uttarakhand News Updated May 23, 2026

Uttarakhand Chief Secretary Reviews Char Dham Yatra Preparations

Uttarakhand Chief Secretary Anand Bardhan reviewed the Char Dham Yatra arrangements and issued directions to district magistrates for streamlined pilgrimage. He emphasized seamless coordination between district administration and BKTC for smooth darshan at all four shrines. The Chief Secretary also instructed officials to prepare for monsoon season with evacuation plans and adequate supplies. He advised health screening for pilgrims, especially elderly and those with young children.

Uttarakhand: Chief Secy Anand Bardhan reviews Char Dham Yatra arrangements

Dehradun, May 23

Uttarakhand Chief Secretary Anand Bardhan reviewed the Char Dham Yatra arrangements and issued necessary directions to district magistrates to ensure that all arrangements related to the pilgrimage are fully streamlined and efficient.

The Chief Secretary said that seamless coordination between the district administration, BKTC, and other stakeholders is essential to ensure that devotees can have smooth and hassle-free darshan at all four shrines.

He added that if the number of pilgrims increases significantly, the system of night-time darshan, as implemented in previous years, can also be operated smoothly.

He further directed officials to accommodate pilgrims in holding areas located in lower-altitude regions at various travel stops and ensure that all basic facilities are available there.

Reviewing preparedness for the upcoming monsoon season, the Chief Secretary instructed district administrations to take all necessary precautionary measures in advance. He said all holding areas should be activated immediately and that districts must keep evacuation plans ready in view of the possibility of heavy rainfall and landslides.

He also directed UCADA to keep its evacuation plan prepared so that arrangements are already in place in case airlifting becomes necessary. In addition, all concerned districts were instructed to maintain an adequate stock of rations and other essential supplies.

The Chief Secretary also stressed the need for special attention to health screening along with the registration process for the Char Dham Yatra.

He said elderly pilgrims above 60 years of age, families travelling with very young children, and people suffering from illnesses should be advised to avoid undertaking the pilgrimage.

He further directed that continuous awareness and publicity campaigns be carried out in this regard.

The Char Dham Yatra, one of the most significant religious pilgrimages in India, formally began on Sunday with rituals across multiple shrines. The annual pilgrimage to Kedarnath Temple commenced with the ceremonial departure of the Panchmukhi palanquin of Lord Kedarnath from its winter seat at Omkareshwar Temple.

— ANI

Reader Comments

Sneha F

Very practical review. Night darshan is a great idea - in 2019 my family went and the queues were insane. Having holding areas in lower altitudes makes sense too, especially for older pilgrims who can't handle the altitude straight away. Just hope they actually implement it well 🙏

Vikram M

The health screening point is crucial. Last year there was a news about a devotee collapsing due to altitude sickness. But telling people above 60 to avoid? That's the age when faith is strongest! 😔 Instead, make health check mandatory and provide oxygen kiosks en route. Banaras to Yatra should be about devotion, not age discrimination.

Raghav A

As someone from Chamoli, I appreciate the evacuation plan and airlift preparations. Landslides are a reality here every monsoon. But UCADA's track record in emergency response is mixed. Hope this time they're better prepared. Also, need better public awareness about symptoms of altitude sickness - many pilgrims ignore it until too late.

James A

Impressive to see the level of government planning for this pilgrimage. Coming from Canada, it's inspiring how India manages mass religious events. The night darshan system is smart - spreads out crowds. Hope the health screenings work well to prevent tragedies. Will be watching from abroad with interest! 🇮🇳

Preeti I

The awareness campaigns are much needed. Many pilgrims don't realize how physically demanding this yatra is. My uncle went in 2021 and had to be airlifted from Kedarnath - had no idea he had a heart condition. But why not set up more first-aid posts and rest points rather than discouraging elders

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked