US Weighs Iran Strike as Trump Holds Final Decision Amid Nuclear Talks

The United States is considering a military strike against Iran, with President Donald Trump yet to make a final decision following nuclear talks in Geneva. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt stated that while some progress was made, the two nations remain far apart on key issues, with diplomacy being the preferred first option. This deliberation occurs against the backdrop of significant unrest in Iran that began in late 2025, with protests over economic grievances escalating into a major political challenge. The Iranian government responded with a severe crackdown, including a nationwide communications blackout, drawing international condemnation.

Key Points: US Mulls Iran Strike, Trump Decision Pending After Geneva Talks

  • US mulling potential strike on Iran
  • Trump's final decision pending
  • Geneva nuclear talks show limited progress
  • Iran faced major protests over economic crisis
  • Government imposed communications blackout
2 min read

US mulls strike on Iran; President Trump yet to make the final call

The US considers a military strike on Iran as President Trump awaits final details from nuclear negotiations, following major protests and a government crackdown.

"There was a little bit of progress made, but we are still far apart on some issues. - White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt"

Washington DC, February 19

The United States is mulling a strike on Iran as early as this weekend, but President Donald Trump has yet to make the final decision, according to a report by CNN.

This follows the US and Iranian delegations meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, to discuss a high-profile nuclear deal.

Earlier on Wednesday (local time), White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt noted that progress has been made in the Geneva talks with Iranian authorities, but the two nations stand "far apart" on certain issues.

"There was a little bit of progress made, but we are still far apart on some issues. We expect the Iranians to come back with the details in the next couple of weeks. The president will continue to watch how this plays out," the press secretary said.

She said that diplomacy is the first option for US President Donald Trump before considering military action against Iran. Speaking to the media, the White House Press Secretary warned Iran, saying it would be wise for Iran to reach a deal with the US.

Major unrest in the Islamic Republic of Iran erupted on December 28, 2025, when wide-ranging demonstrations broke out across multiple cities in response to a crippling economic crisis marked by a sharply depreciating Rial and soaring inflation.

Protests began with shopkeepers and merchants closing businesses in Tehran and quickly spread nationwide, evolving into one of the most significant challenges to the Islamic establishment since the 1979 revolution.

The unrest stemmed initially from economic grievances but rapidly adopted political overtones, with many demonstrators demanding broader systemic change.

As protests intensified through December and into January, hard-line slogans and chants targeting the regime's leadership became widespread. The government responded with force, deploying security units and cutting off internet and telephone services nationwide on January 8, 2026, in an unprecedented communications blackout. World leaders described that move as an effort to "limit the ability of journalists, activists, and families of victims to document and share evidence of killings".

Internationally, the United States expressed support for the Iranian people's right to peaceful protest while condemning Tehran's use of violence. Washington has also expanded visa bans targeting Iranian officials over human-rights violations tied to the crackdown on dissent. Iranian officials, however, have dismissed foreign criticism as interference. Tehran's leadership has accused the United States, Israel and European powers of exploiting the crisis to foment instability and division within the country.

- ANI

Share this article:

Reader Comments

P
Priya S
The Iranian people are suffering due to their own government's policies and now face external threats. It's a tragic situation. While the US talks of supporting protests, military action will only hurt ordinary citizens the most. The focus should be on peaceful resolution.
R
Rohit P
This is worrying. Any conflict will disrupt shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. 80% of India's oil imports pass through there! Our government needs to engage with all sides quietly and ensure our energy security is not compromised. Time for strong diplomacy.
M
Michael C
Watching from Canada. The report says Trump hasn't decided yet, which is good. The Geneva talks should be given a real chance. A strike would be a massive escalation with global consequences, far beyond the Middle East. The world doesn't need another war.
S
Shreya B
Respectfully, I think the article could do more to highlight the voices of Iranians themselves, especially the youth and women leading the protests. The geopolitical angle is important, but the human cost of both the regime's crackdown and potential war is immense. 😔
K
Karthik V
Complex situation. Iran's support for proxies is problematic, but US military action is not the answer. It will create a bigger power vacuum. India has traditionally had good relations with Iran. We should use that position to advocate for de-escalation and dialogue. Jai Hind.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50