Wed, 20 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 19, 2026 · 19:17
India News Updated May 19, 2026

Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan Reviews Re-NEET Prep, Demands Foolproof Security

Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan chaired a high-level meeting to assess re-NEET preparations, emphasizing integrity and transparency. He directed that all gaps from the earlier exam be addressed and the test conducted under stringent security protocols. Whistle-blower Shashikant Suthar claimed concrete evidence of a paper leak, with questions matching PDFs circulated before the exam. The re-examination is scheduled for June 21, and NTA has involved CBI and Rajasthan SOG in the investigation.

Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan chairs high-level review meeting on re-NEET preparations; directs foolproof conduct under strict security protocols

New Delhi, May 19

A high-level review meeting chaired by Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan was held today to assess preparations for the forthcoming NEET Re-Examination.

Stressing the need for complete integrity and transparency in the conduct of the examination, Pradhan directed that all gaps identified in the earlier examination process must be comprehensively addressed and eliminated.

The Minister emphasised that the Re-NEET examination must be conducted in a secure, seamless and fool proof manner under stringent security protocols. Directions were also issued to hold coordination meetings with District Magistrates and Superintendents of Police across States to ensure robust monitoring and effective implementation of examination arrangements.

While underscoring that vigilance and security at examination centres must remain uncompromised, Pradhan also instructed officials to ensure adequate arrangements for students, including transportation, drinking water and other essential facilities.

Notably, the re-examination is scheduled to be held on June 21. As a corrective measure, the Union Education Minister had earlier announced that NEET-UG will be conducted in computer-based test (CBT) mode from next year.

NEET-UG 2026, conducted on May 3, was cancelled by the NTA on May 12 following allegations of a coordinated paper leak. The exam, considered the country's largest undergraduate medical entrance test, was held across 551 cities in India and 14 cities abroad, covering more than 5,400 centres and involving over 22 lakh candidates.

Meanwhile, whistle-blower Shashikant Suthar on Tuesday claimed that there was "concrete evidence" in the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case. He alleged that several questions in the examination matched PDFs circulated before the test, prompting the National Testing Agency (NTA) to involve the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Rajasthan's Special Operations Group (SOG) in the investigation.

Speaking to ANI, about how the leak was detected, Suthar said that after the NEET-UG examination concluded on May 3, he was analysing the paper and solving students' doubts when an acquaintance showed him a PDF containing Chemistry questions.

"After the exam on 3rd May and solving the paper for my students, I met a known person. This person showed me a PDF which had a few questions from Chemistry. When I matched those 45 questions from the PDF document to those mentioned in the NEET-UG paper, I was left shocked, as all 45 questions matched," he said.

He further claimed that another PDF containing Biology questions was also verified with the help of a fellow teacher. "We also asked a teacher to tally 90 Biology questions with those in the NEET exam paper; those too matched. We approached NTA with the details, and they acted fast. CBI and SOG were also roped into the investigation," Suthar added.

Suthar further stated that the availability of what he described as "concrete evidence" compelled the government to take a decision regarding a re-examination.

— ANI

Reader Comments

Pooja D

Good to see the minister personally involved. But why did the leak happen in the first place? NTA needs a complete overhaul - not just a re-exam. Our education system needs digital locks and real-time monitoring, not just post-facto fixes. 😤

Vikram M

The whistle-blower Shashikant Suthar is a hero. Matching 45 Chemistry and 90 Biology questions to a PDF before the exam? That's solid proof. NTA should have caught this earlier. Kudos to him for speaking up. Hope CBI finds the masterminds and they get strict punishment. 👏

Sneha F

For 22 lakh students, this is a nightmare. Many from rural areas travel long distances for centres. Hope the government keeps its promise of transport, drinking water, and basic facilities on June 21. Also, shifting to CBT from next year is overdue - no more paper leaks hopefully! 🤞

Aman W

One thing I don't get - if the leak was so obvious, why did NTA wait 9 days to cancel? They should have acted immediately. Now students have wasted precious time. Also, re-exam in summer heat needs proper AC and water arrangements. Don't make students suffer more. 🙄

Nisha Z

As a medical aspirant's parent, I'm relieved but anxious. My daughter has been crying since the cancellation news. She studied for 2 years. Now she has to gear up again in just a month. Hope the government gives extra time for practice tests and sample papers. Also, security must be top-notch - no more mafia involvement. 🙏

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.