Arnold Schwarzenegger confirms 'King Conan' to begin filming in 2027
Washington DC, May 21
Hollywood star Arnold Schwarzenegger has confirmed that the long-awaited sequel to 'Conan the Barbarian' is set to begin filming in 2027, according to People.
Schwarzenegger revealed that the upcoming film, titled King Conan, is finally moving forward after years of discussions.
"Next year we are going to do King Conan," Schwarzenegger said. "That is a reality now, and I am excited about it."
The actor, who first played the sword-wielding warrior in the 1982 cult classic and later reprised the role in Conan the Destroyer, said he had spent nearly a decade pushing for the sequel to happen.
"For the last ten years I have been saying, 'We should do King Conan, and we should get a great script written, get someone who really understands Robert E. Howard, that understands the artwork of Frank Frazetta and to continue,' " he said, as per the outlet.
Schwarzenegger also shared that he hopes original director John Milius will return as a producer on the film.
Filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie has been confirmed to write and direct the sequel. McQuarrie previously directed the recent Mission: Impossible films.
Teasing the storyline, Schwarzenegger said the new film will focus on an older Conan who is no longer in his prime.
"He is no longer in the shape he was from his heyday, and now people are trying to take him out," Schwarzenegger said. "He's the king, and he gets a little bit complacent," according to People.
The actor compared the tone of the sequel to Unforgiven, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood.
"It will be a lot like that, but it will be with extraordinary battles," he added.
Schwarzenegger also hinted that he may return to other iconic franchises, including Predator and Commando, after revealing that studios have approached him with new scripts, as per the outlet.
— ANI
Reader Comments
I'm cautiously optimistic. The original Conan is a classic, but the sequel Conan the Destroyer was pretty mediocre. Having Christopher McQuarrie on board gives me some hope though, he knows how to handle big action sequences. Let's see what they cook up.
Arnold is 77 now, and they're going to film action scenes? I hope they handle his age respectfully. The "older, complacent king" angle sounds perfect though - it's realistic. Plus, if they capture that Frank Frazetta art style, this could be epic. Just please no political preaching, keep it pure sword and sorcery! ⚔️
Unforgiven meets Conan? That's either brilliant or a disaster waiting to happen. But if anyone can pull off a geriatric action hero comeback, it's Schwarzenegger. After Terminator: Dark Fate flopped, I hope they've learned their lesson about respecting the source material and the fans.
Wait, they're doing King Conan but also bringing back Predator and Commando? Arnold is really milking the nostalgia factor. 😂 I'm not complaining though, Indian audiences love a good comeback story. Just hoping the script is solid and not just a cash grab. Also, John Milius as producer would be the cherry on top!
Ten years of pushing for this sequel shows Arnold's determination. The man never gives up! But let's be real - the original Conan is untouchable. This sequel needs to be dark, violent,
We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.