Fri, 22 May 2026 · LIVE
Updated May 22, 2026 · 12:16
Madhya Pradesh News Updated May 22, 2026

31 NCC Cadets Hospitalised With Heatstroke in Madhya Pradesh Camp

Over 31 NCC cadets fell ill with heatstroke symptoms at a training camp in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, on Thursday evening. They were rushed to the District Hospital, with seven admitted to the ICU and three to four in serious condition. Officials attribute the mass illness to the severe heatwave, with temperatures reaching 45°C, and are also investigating possible food poisoning. The cadets, part of a camp with over 450 participants, are mostly stable and recovering under medical supervision.

31 NCC cadets hospitalised in MP's Jabalpur after suffering heatstroke at training camp

Jabalpur, May 22

In a concerning incident amid the ongoing severe heatwave sweeping across central India, more than 31 National Cadet Corps trainees fell seriously ill with symptoms of heatstroke and dehydration at a training camp held at the Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing campus on Dumna Road.

The incident triggered panic within the camp premises late on Thursday evening, with all affected cadets immediately rushed to the District Hospital for urgent medical care.

According to officials, the cadets began complaining of dizziness, vomiting, diarrhoea, and extreme weakness around 8 p.m on Thursday.

CMHO Dr Naveen Kothari told IANS, "After the incident, children from the NCC camp being held at IIITDM started arriving here. So far, 31 children have been brought in, including 15 boys and 16 girls. When they were brought to Victoria Hospital, some had stomach pain, some were feeling anxious, some complained of chest pain, while others showed symptoms like drowsiness and semi-consciousness."

He also said, "Primarily, we have treated them for heatstroke, but our food safety officer will also make sure if it was a case of food poisoning or heatstroke. We will check the food at the camp."

Dr Kothari said almost all children have recovered. Medical teams at the hospital confirmed that while most are stable and responding to treatment, the condition of three to four cadets remains serious, with at least seven admitted to the intensive care unit.

A dedicated team of doctors is closely monitoring all the young trainees, and families of the affected cadets have been informed about their condition.

NCC officials and representatives from the District Health Department are present at the facility to coordinate support.

The training camp, which commenced on May 14 and is scheduled to continue until May 24, involves more than 450 NCC cadets from Jabalpur and neighbouring districts.

Preliminary investigations by the district administration and health authorities have attributed the mass illness primarily to the scorching heatwave conditions and the physical exertion of training conducted largely under the open sky.

Madhya Pradesh has been reeling under extreme temperatures, with several areas recording highs above 47 degrees Celsius in recent days. In Jabalpur specifically, the mercury hovered between 44 and 45 degrees Celsius over the past four days, creating hazardous conditions for outdoor activities.

Health experts explain that heatstroke occurs when the body's temperature regulation fails under prolonged exposure to high heat combined with physical activity and insufficient hydration. Symptoms can escalate rapidly, potentially leading to organ damage if not addressed promptly.

The India Meteorological Department has issued repeated warnings about the current heatwave, advising people, especially children and young adults engaged in strenuous activities, to take precautions such as staying hydrated, avoiding peak sun hours, and seeking shade regularly.

This incident has raised questions about the scheduling of intensive outdoor training programmes during the peak summer season.

NCC authorities are expected to review safety protocols for the remaining days of the camp. District officials have assured that all necessary measures are being taken to ensure the well-being of the cadets. Parents and guardians have been urged to remain in contact with hospital staff for regular updates.

— IANS

Reader Comments

Priya S

My nephew is in the NCC, and I'm so worried. It's good they're stable, but this is a clear failure of planning. The IMD has been warning about heatwaves for weeks. Why didn't the camp shift to early morning or late evening drills? 😔

Vikram M

As a former NCC cadet myself, I know how tough training can be—but this is negligence. 450 cadets in 45°C heat without proper hydration breaks? Unacceptable. At least the hospital acted fast. Let's hope this forces systemic changes.

Aditi M

Thank God all are stable. But this is a wake-up call. We need proper medical facilities on-site, especially during heatwaves. The food safety check is also important—could be a mix of food and heat issues. Get well soon, cadets! 💪

David E

This is heartbreaking. These kids are our future. Hope the serious ones recover completely. The authorities should reschedule or cancel the remaining days—no training is worth putting lives at risk in this extreme heat.

Nidhi U

It's sad but not surprising. Our summer training camps often ignore ground realities. Parents must be terrified. I hope the NCC uses this as a learning moment—flexible schedules, more shade, and mandatory hydration breaks should be the norm.

R Ravi K

Reader Voices

Leave a comment

Be kind. Add to the conversation. 0/50
Thank you — your comment has been submitted.
JS blocked