Key Points

SBI has officially classified RCom and Anil Ambani as fraud following RBI guidelines. The bank is preparing to file a CBI complaint regarding the Rs 2,227 crore exposure. RCom's insolvency resolution remains pending with NCLT since 2020. Anil Ambani also faces personal insolvency proceedings in separate NCLT hearings.

Key Points: SBI Tags RCom Anil Ambani as Fraud Plans CBI Complaint

  • SBI reports Rs 2,227 crore exposure in RCom fraud case
  • Anil Ambani faces personal insolvency proceedings in NCLT
  • Fraud classification reversed in 2023, reinstated after due process
  • RCom's resolution plan pending NCLT approval since 2020
3 min read

SBI to file CBI complaint after tagging RCom, Anil Ambani as 'Fraud': MoS Pankaj Chaudhary

SBI classifies RCom and Anil Ambani as fraud, initiates CBI complaint after RBI guidelines. Minister Pankaj Chaudhary reveals Rs 2,227 crore exposure.

"The bank has reported the classification of fraud to the RBI and is lodging a complaint with CBI - MoS Pankaj Chaudhary"

New Delhi, July 22

Minister of State for Finance, Pankaj Chaudhary, stated in Parliament that the State Bank of India (SBI) has classified Reliance Communications Limited (RCOM), along with Promoter Director Anil D. Ambani, as “Fraud” in accordance with the Reserve Bank of India’s Master Directions on Fraud Risk Management and the bank’s board-approved policy on Classification, Reporting & Management of Frauds. The bank is now in the process of filing a complaint with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the minister informed.

“On June 24, 2025 the bank has reported the classification of fraud to the RBI, and is also in the process of lodging a complaint with the CBI, the minister said in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha.

Further, on July 1, 2025, as part of disclosure compliance, the Resolution Professional of RCOM has informed the Bombay Stock Exchange regarding fraud classification by the bank, the minister said in a written reply.

“The credit exposure by SBI in the aforesaid account includes, fund based – principal outstanding amount of Rs. 2,227.64 crore along with the accrued interest and expenses with effect from August 26, 2016 and non-fund based Bank Guarantee of Rs. 786.52 crore,” the minister revealed.

RCOM is undergoing Corporate Insolvency Resolution Process under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (IBC). The resolution plan was approved by the Committee of Creditors and filed with the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), Mumbai on March 6, 2020, and NCLT approval is awaited, Chaudhary further stated.

The bank has also initiated Personal Insolvency Resolution Process under IBC against Anil Ambani and the same is being heard by NCLT, Mumbai, he added.

The Bank had earlier classified the account and promoters Anil D Ambani as “Fraud” on Nov 10, 2020 and filed a complaint with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Jan 5, 2021. However, the complaint was returned in view of the "status quo" order dated Jan 6, 2021 by the Delhi High Court, the minister further stated.

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court Judgement dated March 27,.2023 in Civil Appeal No. 7300-7307 of 2022 (State Bank of India & Others Vs Rajesh Agarwal & Others) mandated that lenders provide borrowers with an opportunity to represent before classifying their accounts as fraud. Accordingly, the fraud classification in the account was reversed by the bank on September 2, 2023, he explained.

The fraud classification process was re-run, and the account was again classified as “Fraud” after following the due process as per RBI circular dated July 15, 2024, the minister added.

- IANS

Share this article:

Reader Comments

S
Sarah B
As an NRI investor, this makes me question corporate governance in India. How did the bank allow such massive exposure without proper checks? Both parties need accountability.
P
Priya S
₹2,227 crore principal + interest! This is shocking. Common people struggle for small loans while big businessmen get away with thousands of crores. System needs complete overhaul.
A
Aman W
The legal process seems never-ending - classified as fraud in 2020, reversed in 2023, now again fraud in 2024. When will common citizens get justice in this country?
N
Nisha Z
While action is needed, I hope due process is followed properly this time. The Supreme Court was right to insist on borrower representation before fraud classification.
K
Karthik V
This case shows why banking reforms are crucial. Public sector banks need better risk management systems to prevent such massive NPAs. Jai Hind! 🇮🇳
M
Michael C
Watching from UK - this case will be test for India's financial system. Quick resolution would improve investor confidence significantly.

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50