Key Points

The Karnataka High Court has ordered a one-day postponement of the RTC staff strike over unpaid salary arrears. Unions are demanding 38 months' dues, while the state has offered only 14 months. The court questioned the timing of the PIL filed against the strike. Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy assured alternative arrangements, including work-from-home for IT employees.

Key Points: Karnataka HC Delays RTC Strike as Staff Demand Salary Arrears

  • Karnataka HC issues interim order delaying RTC strike by a day
  • Unions demand 38 months' salary arrears, state offers 14 months
  • Court questions last-minute PIL filing by petitioner
  • Transport Minister assures alternative arrangements for commuters
3 min read

Karnataka HC directs RTC staffers to postpone indefinite strike by a day

Karnataka High Court postpones RTC strike by a day amid salary revision demands, with unions questioning the court's directive.

"What does postponement of the strike for one day mean? Does it imply we can launch the protest the next day? – Ananth Subbarao, Joint Action Committee Chairman"

Bengaluru, Aug 4

The Karnataka High Court, in an interim order, on Monday directed the RTC associations, which have called for an indefinite strike across the state demanding salary revision and payment of arrears, to postpone the proposed action by one day.

A division bench of Justices K.S. Mudagal and M.G.S. Kamal, passing the order, issued notices to the state government, RTC unions, and the Joint Action Committee.

The matter was taken up by this bench as the Chief Justice's bench was not functioning on Monday. The bench stated that the case will be heard by it on Tuesday.

Deeksha Amrutesh, counsel appearing for the petitioner, submitted that the general public would suffer due to the indefinite strike by RTC staff. She also pointed out that during a previous strike, action had been taken against staffers. She added that fulfilling the demands of the RTC workers would place a burden of Rs 2,200 crore on the state government. A meeting on this issue is scheduled for August 7, yet the indefinite strike has been called amid this process, she noted.

The court questioned the petitioner on why the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) had been filed at the last minute.

H.R. Renuka, counsel for the RTC staffers, stated that notice regarding the indefinite strike was already given on July 15.

Reacting to the High Court’s order, Joint Action Committee Chairman Ananth Subbarao questioned the directive. "What does postponement of the strike for one day mean? Does it imply we can launch the protest the next day? Instead of postponing the strike, the court could have ordered the government to clear the arrears. I haven’t seen the order yet. Once we receive a copy, we will decide," he stated.

Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy said that the Chief Minister had held a meeting with representatives of the RTC workers in July. He said there are 14 organisations representing RTC staff in the state, including the Joint Action Committee and the Federation of Associations.

He said that the workers demanded the release of arrears for 38 months of revised salary. A single-member committee had, however, recommended payment of revised salary for 14 months, excluding the Covid-19 period.

The CM, who had chaired the meeting today at Vidhana Soudha, had agreed to release Rs 718 crore for the 14-month revised salary. However, the representatives rejected this and insisted on receiving the entire 38 months’ arrears, Reddy said.

"The public need not be confused. The court has passed its order. In any eventuality, the government has made alternative arrangements. IT companies will be advised to opt for work-from-home," the minister added.

- IANS

Share this article:

Reader Comments

S
Shreya B
Why is our government always reactive instead of proactive? They knew about this strike since July 15! Now last minute PILs and court orders. Typical government functioning - wait till crisis hits!
A
Aman W
As an IT employee in Bengaluru, I'm relieved about the work-from-home option. But what about daily wage workers who depend on buses? The government must find permanent solutions, not temporary fixes.
P
Priya S
Rs 2,200 crore is a huge amount! But workers deserve their rightful pay. Maybe government can pay in installments? Both sides need to compromise. Jai Karnataka! 🙏
V
Vikram M
The court's one-day postponement makes no sense. Either allow the strike or don't. This just prolongs the uncertainty. Workers have been patient for 38 months - their frustration is understandable.
N
Nisha Z
During COVID, these transport workers risked their lives. Now government wants to exclude that period from payments? Shameful! They deserve full arrears with interest 💯

We welcome thoughtful discussions from our readers. Please keep comments respectful and on-topic.

Leave a Comment

Minimum 50 characters 0/50