Six detained for Hyderabad blasts: Report
(5 years ago)
Hyderabad, Feb 23 : Six people have been 'detained' over Thursday's bomb attacks in Hyderabad that killed 16 people and wounded over 100, media reports said as police continue to piece together clues from the terror attack.
Several people have been questioned in connection with the strike, police said adding that no arrests were made so far.
Footage from CCTV security cameras is being scrutinised to identify any suspects.
Earlier, Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said that the police had done everything it could to prevent the terror strike in the city this week that killed 16 people and wounded over 100.
Speaking at a press conference, the commissioner also claimed that the police had received "vital clues" and was hoping to crack the case soon.
Six specialized teams have been formed and they have already started to collect evidences from the twin bomb blasts at Dilsukhnagar on Thursday, Sharma said.
"SIT (special investigation team) will probe the blasts case. The city has been put on high alert," he said.
The commissioner added that the Andhra Pradesh government has announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for credible information leading to cracking of the case.
"We are still not sure of the involvement of banned Indian Mujahideen (IM) in the case," Sharma said, adding that many clues were found in the last 24 hours.
"No amount of explanations would be adequate to the families of the deceased but still I would say we are trying our best to solve the case," he said.
Sharma said that the police had received a government circular on Feb 15 about an imminent terror attack, and the did everything it could to prevent it.
"I know no amount of explanation will suffice, but we did everything we could to prevent any act of terrorism. It was a dastardly act and we will bring the culprits to book," he said.
Thursday's blasts took place as explosives were strapped in bicycles near two cinema houses and at a foot bridge, just 100 metres apart.
Reports suggest there has been deployment of Improvised Explosive Devices or IEDs which triggered the blasts.
No terror outfit has claimed responsibility for the blasts but there is a finger of suspicion towards the Indian Mujahideen (IM). Some reports said IM had recced the area in Hyderabad in the past through.
IM suspected operative Syed Maqbool, who was arrested in Oct last year and interrogated, had admitted to a conspiracy to carry out blasts at the particular site, media reports said.
The NIA is probing the Hyderabad blasts in conjunction with the local police, said Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde.